Senior Fullstack Engineer
Austin, TX /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
Your role will provide you end-to-end ownership over design and implementation of the Core services, integrating with our frontend interfaces as well as the performance and scalability of the systems and driving change to push our technology and teams further.
- Collaborate with business teams and provide early input to new product ideas and functionality
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software services with high SLAs and that can handle millions of requests a day
- Drive good scalability and maintainability practices through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering and container-based software distribution.
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput.
- Expand and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification.
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse
- Drive peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, gRPC, SOAP and other technologies
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with Go programming language
- Experience with Django
- Past experience and success building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience with automated UI and System testing frameworks and tools such as Selenium, Ghost Inspector, Runscope, Testim, Browserstack etc
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM etc.
- Experience with billing and/or invoice systems (Stripe, Braintree, Zoho, Zuora, Chargebee etc)
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), 401(k), and pets coverage
- Competitive total compensation package plus stock options
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- 12 Company-paid holidays
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth