Senior Product Manager - Billing, Payment and Fraud
San Francisco, Austin, or Remote /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to lead our growing Billing, Payment and Fraud team. Shippo has customers across a range of segments from small businesses, to 3rd party logistics providers to large direct-to-consumer brands, and each of these segments has unique needs with respect to billing and payment. As we improve our billing systems, we must simultaneously solve for keeping fraud losses to a minimum. Product development at Shippo is an extremely collaborative effort between engineering, design, analytics and customer-facing teams. In this role, you will work across many teams, from Engineering to Customer Support to Marketing to Finance, to ensure billing is being implemented in a flexible and customer-friendly way, refunds work smoothly, fraud and false positives are kept to a minimum, and more.
- Understand customer needs around billing and payment, and formulate a long-term strategy and product roadmap to turn billing into a competitive advantage for Shippo.
- Collaborate with various internal teams to keep our customers safe and minimize Shippo's fraud losses.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest in fraud detection and mitigation strategies.
- Research, select and manage relationship with 3rd party fraud and payment vendors.
- Identify risk factors and trends of potentially fraudulent activity, including the development of trend reports and key indicators to serve as early warning risk indicators for potentially fraudulent activity.
- Develop and implement comprehensive fraud detection strategies and business rules that balance fraud loss, cost of execution, and customer experience.
- Write and present detailed product deliverables on key initiatives to executives and stakeholders. Monitor product performance, understand the “why” of your domain, and propose improvements.
- 5+ years experience as a product manager
- 3+ years experience in either payments, billing, data, cybersecurity, account security, chargebacks, credit-card fraud, phishing, account takeovers or identity theft.
- Highly experienced and comfortable working with data.
- Strong technical understanding and experience working directly with engineers and engineering management
- Experience working in a highly-collaborative, agile environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic environment using a data informed and analytical approach.
- Ability to lead multiple complex projects across cross-functional, distributed teams and multiple client groups
- Communication chops - understand and communicate trade-offs to a diverse group of people
- Self-starter with the ability to present/assert/pursue independent ideas and drive them to execution with minimal mentorship.
- Experience at a start-up or small/mid-sized company.
- Experience with shipping SMB customer applications is a plus.
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!