San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager, you will be working closely with leadership to build and manage the engineering org for Shippo as well as scaling the organization through thoughtful hiring, training, and review practices. You will be instrumental in helping to build and maintain a healthy and happy engineering team culture. You will be leading groups responsible for the core Shippo product, third party integrations, and overall experience.
- Build, lead, and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers to solve company goals while remaining hands-on. Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement. Establish a sense of urgency and direction, set expectations with the team and individuals.
- Work closely with product management, analysts, architects, engineering leads, and business stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, lead key technical and design discussions, and prioritize delivery efforts.
- Iterate quickly in an agile process.
- Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
- Exceptional problem solving skills: demonstrated ability to understand business challenges, structure complex problems, develop solutions.
- Provide early input to design team to streamline designs for implementation, participate in design reviews for new features, products, and systems.
- Keep up-to-date with high performance best practices, conduct performance tests regularly, and optimize web pages continuously and evangelize the adoption of developments of HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Must have at least 2+ years of hands-on engineering management experience
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, gRPC, SOAP and other technologies
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!