Director of Carrier Partnerships
San Francisco, CA /
Business Development /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
We are looking for a Director of Carrier Partnerships to focus on deepening and expanding our worldwide carrier network. This role is a key leader within the Shippo Business Development team, responsible for all aspects of the business development cycle for our partnerships with shipping carriers: Initiating new carrier partnerships, negotiating new and extant partnership agreements, and building/executing new market expansion plans. This Director will be expected to take the lead on high priority deals while also managing an experienced team of senior BD members.
- Lead all partnerships with shipping carriers, including the initiation and negotiation of new partnerships and the re-negotiation of existing agreements. You’ll manage the team to oversee each step of the BD cycle: Strategy/planning, pipeline development, prospecting, outreach, terms negotiation, contract drafting, and implementation.
- Build relationships with executives at key parcel carriers, and leverage relationships to uncover and pursue growth opportunities.
- Shepherd all completed partnerships through a successful integration, including internal and external coordination, product and engineering prioritization and problem solving.
- Act as a key internal voice to Product Management and Engineering teams, to define partner-driven product initiatives that expand Shippo’s volume and growth.
- Collaborate with partners and Shippo marketing team to execute high impact partner marketing campaigns and develop collateral.
- Create internal and external reports on partner and channel performance. Contribute analysis to improve profitability for partners and Shippo.
- 5+ years of Business Development experience within the shipping and logistics, eCommerce, or 3PL/fulfillment industries.
- 2+ years of management experience, with a proven ability to improve team-wide efficiency and coach individual team members to a high level of performance.
- A steady problem solver with exceptional relationship management and communication skills.
- Strong negotiating skills in deals involving multiple stakeholders, with the ability to manage complex deal cycles.
- Experience researching and analyzing new markets and verticals.
- Comfortable working with analytics, tracking/attribution, and API integrations.
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents)
- Take-as-much-as-you-need vacation policy + flexible work hours
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours
- Awesome people that care about Shippo's mission, product and team