Senior Engineering Manager - Fraud & Billing
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our Billing and Fraud Prevention team. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be working closely with leadership to build and manage the engineering organization for Shippo as well as scaling the organization through thoughtful hiring, training, and review practices. You will be leading a team of engineers responsible for collaborating with a strong cross-functional team of product managers, customer success, Finance, etc. to implement a scalable and robust billing systems that support our rapid business growth, and develop systems and processes to detect, prevent, and mitigate fraud. Shippo and our customers will look to you to protect the platform from nefarious activities.
If you are up to the challenge to build a world-class, efficient billing system and real-time risk detection and prevention services to understand ever-evolving attack vectors, we are eager to speak with you!
- Build, lead, and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers to deliver on our billing and fraud prevention efforts while remaining hands-on.
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement.
- Establish a sense of urgency and direction, set expectations with the team and individuals.
- Work closely with product management, analysts, architects, engineering leads, and business stakeholders to define billing system requirements, guide product and architectural vision, lead key technical and design discussions, and prioritize delivery efforts.
- Keep up-to-date on existing fraud trends by analyzing transaction patterns and industry alerts.
- Determine design and generate suspicious activity reports and risk management reports and work with cross-functional teams to determine potentially fraudulent transactions.
- Design and implement system improvements and new software tools used for fraud detection, prevention and reporting activities.
- Work closely with the cross-functional team to build tools to detect fraud and risk patterns.
- Enable frictionless experiences by providing a clear, accurate assessment of risk at multiple points of the end-user journey
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse.
- Drive peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- 2+ years leading data engineering teams.
- 4+ years of experience in software development
- Expertise leading, mentoring, training, and/or hiring engineering teams.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exceptional problem solving skills: demonstrated ability to understand business challenges, structure complex problems, develop solutions.
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, gRPC, SOAP and other technologies
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You have experience building or enhancing billing system, familiar with various payments (CC, Paypal, ACH, etc) processing
- You have prior experience building risk and fraud capabilities for eCommerce/Retails and are very passionate about this domain.
- Experience with billing and/or invoice systems (Stripe, Braintree, Zoho, Zuora, Chargebee etc)
- Familiarity with Go programming language
- Experience with Django framework
- Past experience and success building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience with automated UI and System testing frameworks and tools such as Selenium, Ghost Inspector, Runscope, Testim, Browserstack etc
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM etc.
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!