Senior Software Engineer - Fraud
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Fraud team. Shippo and our customers will look to you to protect the platform from nefarious activities. As a key contributor, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a strong cross-functional team of engineers, product managers, customer success, etc. to implement scalable and robust systems and processes to detect, prevent, and mitigate fraud. If you are up to the challenge to build real-time risk detection and prevention services to understand ever-evolving attack vectors, we are eager to speak with you!
Responsibilities and Impact
- Identify suspicious fraud activity and work with appropriate teams to investigate and thwart the activity
- Determine existing fraud trends by analyzing transaction patterns and industry alerts.
- Design and generate suspicious activity reports and risk management reports and work with cross-functional teams to determine potentially fraudulent transactions.
- Implement, enhance, and maintain fraud analysis models to improve efficiency and effectiveness of company systems. Leverage anomaly detection algorithms to identify unusual behaviors for customer traffic patterns
- Enhance systems to gather and leverage signals from fraud scoring, payment and identity data providers, to distinguish fraudulent activity from legitimate.
- Design and implement system improvements and new software tools used for fraud detection, prevention and reporting activities. Work closely with the cross-functional team to build tools to detect fraud and risk patterns.
- Design and implement processes and procedures to prevent or minimize fraud losses.
- Enable frictionless experiences by providing a clear, accurate assessment of risk at multiple points of the end-user journey,
- Advise business leaders by providing data-driven strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse
- Drive peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, gRPC, SOAP and other technologies
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You have prior experience building risk and fraud capabilities for eCommerce/Retails and are very passionate about this domain.
- Experience with billing and/or invoice systems (Stripe, Braintree, Zoho, Zuora, Chargebee etc)
- Familiarity with Go programming language
- Experience with Django framework
- Past experience and success building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience with automated UI and System testing frameworks and tools such as Selenium, Ghost Inspector, Runscope, Testim, Browserstack etc
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM etc.
Benefits, Perks, and More
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage for you and your dependents. Pets coverage also available!
- Flexible policy for PTO and work arrangement
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 annual learning stipend for your personal and professional growth
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Free daily catered lunch, drinks, and snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!