Senior Product Manager - Developer Experience
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We are working on a generational opportunity to create the shipping and fulfillment layer for e-commerce, transforming this industry in a similar way to how Stripe has revolutionized Payments, and Twilio has communications. A critical part of that is Shippo building products that enables our shipping and fulfillment services and functionality to be consumed by all businesses who ship in our ecosystem, including hundreds to thousands of store platforms (e.g., Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, etc.) and warehouse operators, and millions of e-commerce merchants. Shippo’s API products and developer experience are at the heart of making this vision a reality.
As the PM for our developer experience team, you’ll lead the strategy and execution of a cross-functional team, delivering high value API improvements and integrations, while also setting and educating on API standards internally across the product and engineering organization. This person will also have an important external role in developer advocacy, helping developers and partners see the value of our solution. Given how horizontal, broad, and strategic this role is, the ability to evangelize and influence will be a key factor in this person’s success.
- Perform primary and secondary user research to understand developer behavior, and partner and customer needs, as they build with Shippo’s API
- Develop Shippo’s API products and product strategy. ensure Shippo’s API is both meeting the needs of our developers as well as driving business growth
- Build the mechanisms to ensure a consistent and high bar for developer experience across our product & engineering organization
- Be responsible for defining, documenting, and evangelizing Shippo’s API policies and guidelines
- Understand the requirements of our various product teams and their customers, ensuring our developer platform supports their needs
- Develop strategic integrations where necessary to ensure Shippo is working with leading e-commerce platforms and carriers
- Collaborate with go-to-market teams to position Shippo’s API, and partnering to develop relevant assets where needed
- Evangelize externally through communication with partners, carriers, and customers, and presentation at relevant industry events to ensure Shippo’s API is seen as a modern, market-leading API for our industry
- 5+ years of product management at a technology company
- A passion for software and programming, ideally having worked as a developer yourself and supported services in production.
- Experience working on developer products, API products, and platforms
- Experience working across all phases of the SDLC and understand both the excitement and challenges that developers face at each phase
- Proven experience working cross-functionally and leading through influence, not necessarily through authority
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, for a variety audiences with a wide range of skill levels and technical backgrounds
- Experience shipping products in a fast moving environment with a heavy dose of ambiguity.
- A belief in the power of platforms. You are motivated by making other people successful
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!