Director of Product - Data and Intelligence
San Francisco, Austin, or Remote /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We are working on a generational opportunity to create the shipping and fulfillment layer for e-commerce, transforming this industry in a similar way to how Stripe has revolutionized Payments, and Twilio has communications. We believe that data will play an essential role in that transformation for our customers (merchants), both in helping them to create efficiencies in their operations, and in empowering them to better support their end customers (consumers). Shippo sits at the nexus of several critical data sources -- including online store and consumer purchase data, carrier data like on-time delivery rates and transit time, and fulfillment process data across millions of orders and billions in GMV -- so there are endless opportunities to create value for our merchants and for the industry.
This is a new group at Shippo so we are looking for an entrepreneurial product leader who is excited about owning a critical pillar of our product strategy from scratch. While your core focus will be delivering a product strategy that creates value for our customers and partners, you’ll also have responsibility over our internal data needs. We are a product team that is scaling rapidly, and you’ll be partnering with many other product managers and product leaders to deliver your strategy, so the ability to influence without direct authority is essential (there will also be opportunity to build a team of product managers should the strategy support it). This is a unique “zero to one” product opportunity to create and deliver a product strategy that could change an industry.
- Create and lead the product strategy and roadmap for the Intelligence pillar of our product strategy
- Perform primary and secondary user research to understand customer and partner needs and inform product roadmap
- Partner with Shippo R&D team members (Product Managers, Data Engineers, Designers, Developers) to understand requirements and constraints to develop our data platform and data products for our customers.
- Define key qualitative and quantitative metrics and use them to identify opportunities for innovation and measure the impact of product launches.
- Own and be accountable to the end-to-end success of your product or product area from strategy through execution.
- Develop strategic products that leverage the Shippo’s vast real-time shipping data to enhance customer value
- 7+ years in data product management experience or equivalent experience in software development
- 3+ years experience in managing data strategy roadmap, data infrastructure, building data-oriented functionality that creates customer value
- Solid understanding of machine learning and data science is required, and experience launching ML-driven products is highly desirable
- Experience building platforms and incorporating requirements from application / experience product teams
- Experience in influencing peer product managers horizontally to incorporate data product requirements
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a technical field or equivalent professional software engineering experience is highly desirable
- Comfortable in ambiguity and complexity and able to translate that into clarity and achieve goals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; you know how to work with individual contributors and senior leaders.
- Data engineering / science / analytics background is a big plus