Site Reliability Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you are a hybrid software development and operations engineer who ensures that the Shippo services meet and exceed SLAs and are designed and built for scale and growth. You will work with other engineering teams to build services that are performant, scalable, automatable, measurable, and resilient to failure.
- Design, scale, and secure infrastructure to stay ahead of business needs through fault-tolerant architecture design, performance testing, profiling, and tuning, and capacity planning
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain automation, monitoring, and alerting systems, as well as design, implement, and test disaster recovery solutions
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering
- Continue to build out and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Experience developing, managing and troubleshooting highly available distributed systems, including operational experience with Kubernetes
- Deep expertise with at least one public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Interest in and understanding of best-in-class security practices, and automation and testing methods
- Familiarity with configuration and maintenance of common infrastructure components such as Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Hadoop3+ years of experience in software development
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with configuration and maintenance of common infrastructure components such as Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Hadoop
- Experience with service meshes (e.g. Istio)
- 3+ years of experience in software development
Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
Flexible PTO + work hours
Dog are welcomed in the office
3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
$2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
Free lunch / drinks / snacks
Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!