Senior Software Engineer - Carriers
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
We are looking for a new Senior Software Engineer to join our Carriers team! Businesses, partners, customers, and users worldwide rely on Shippo’s integration to a global network of carriers to streamline their fulfillment workflow. You can look forward to expanding our Shipping Carrier Library for both domestic and international shipments. The Carriers team is responsible for developing new features, building infrastructure and maintaining current services. As a Senior Engineer, you will provide leadership and oversight in technical design, systems architecture, and coding for your team as well as the Engineering team as a whole.
- Full stack design and development with a focus on maintainability, usability, scalability and performance.
- Mentor junior members on Agile software development life cycle, code quality, and scalable software architecture
- Experience being on-call and able to respond quickly to system incidents (AWS, Redis)
- Define scalable business logic
- Define, implement, and monitor operational metrics for the Carriers Library to ensure performance and quality.
- Champion testing procedures and automation in support of vertical and horizontal scale.
- Assist with hands-on work in gathering business requirements, development, and verification.
- 3+ years of experience in software development owning projects from start to finish
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Past experience and success building and supporting scalable APIs, services, or applications
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success.
- Ability to look ahead to identify opportunities, foster a culture of innovation, and build for scale.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience working or interacting with shipping and/or postal carriers
- Experience using GoLang and Python in production
- Familiarity with microservices architectures
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, SOAP and other technologies
- Exposure to single-page application development using React, Ember.js, or AngularJS
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data analytics, and web stack
Benefits, Perks, and More
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage for you and your dependents. Pets coverage also available!
- Flexible policy for PTO and work arrangement
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 annual learning stipend for your personal and professional growth
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Free daily catered lunch, drinks, and snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!