Director of Product Marketing
San Francisco, CA /
Shipping, when deployed correctly, is a growth driver for e-commerce businesses. However, the benefits and competitive advantages of shipping have historically been reserved for only the savviest and most resource-rich businesses. Shippo is changing that dynamic, by providing business of all sizes and growth stages with everything they need to leverage shipping for growth.
By using Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get real-time shipping rates and ETAs, automate fulfillment workflows, print labels, create and process international documents, notify customers, track shipments, and facilitate returns. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday.
Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
We are seeking an experienced Product Marketing leader, who will work closely with Product Development and GTM teams to make Shippo’s products successful in-market. This role will be a high-impact leadership position that will collaborate closely and strategically with other leaders across the company.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Be the product marketing leader at Shippo. Work hand-in-hand with leaders across Shippo’s product development and GTM organizations to make product initiatives successful in-market. While you will sit within the marketing team, you should consider yourself equally a part of the product team.
- Partner Marketing: Partner with Shippo’s BD team to launch new strategic partnerships, educate sales orgs at partner companies, and increase Shippo’s penetration within partner ecosystems.
- Messaging: Define, communicate, and evangelize value propositions that differentiate Shippo to various market segments including varying sizes of merchants, e-commerce platform partners, and fulfillment partners.
- Cross-functional coordination: Promote strong feedback loops with the product, sales, and customer success teams to ensure alignment, facilitate training, and ultimately make Shippo’s offerings successful in market.
- Enablement: Enable our sales and business development teams with targeted collateral, playbooks, and messaging and drive consistency in the value that we articulate through all channels.
- Research: Conduct qualitative and quantitative research to build out customer personas, segmentation, and recommendations that will inform and influence our product roadmap and marketing strategy. Maintain intelligence on competition and industry, providing insights cross functionally.
- Competitive research and positioning: Research and stay on top of the latest happenings in our space. This will include conducting research based on competitor product suites to aid our product prioritization and creating competitive materials and positioning (for example battlecards) for our GTM teams.
- Reporting: Measure results across efforts and constantly find creative ways to maintain momentum and engagement after launches. This will include crafting a POV on what makes product launches successful (when do we launch, where do we promote, how do we leverage different channels and communications) and collaborating with cross functional teams to set ambitious, but reasonable goals for product launches
- You tell us what you should do and what you want to do. We don’t want to restrict you to a bullet point list of activities. The ideal candidate will work with leadership to identify new high-leverage activities and opportunities for growth. Our job is to set you up for success and let you take ownership as a marketer.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 5+ years of experience in product marketing; ideally at e-commerce, logistics, or shipping at well-recognized brands. Experience working within a self-service and/or hybrid (self-service and direct sales) business model (i.e. scaleable onboarding programs, in-product messaging, one to many communications) is a plus.
- Leadership and management experience: Previous experience hiring, managing, and growing marketing teams. While this role will be an IC initially, we’re looking for someone who can grow a team of PMMs and Partner Marketers.
- Product and market expertise: To succeed in this role, you’ll need to live and breathe e-commerce and shipping. Prior experience in a related field is a bonus, but you’ll also need to demonstrate the ability to learn and grow. We’ll ask you for examples of how you’ve mastered the intricacies of other businesses in your previous experience.
- Content and storytelling chops: You won’t be writing blog posts all day, but you will need to prove that you can tell an engaging and impactful story across several mediums. You’ll need to be versed in creating strategic pitches, running demos, and writing long-form content and have some examples to show off.
- Superior communication skills: You have the ability to prioritize and efficiently communicate marketing goals and results to diverse audiences including your direct team, executive leadership, and the company as a whole.
- Presentation wizardry: You are comfortable and confident creating presentations and presenting to large external and internal audiences. You also have experience coaching and supporting executives for major pitches and speaking arrangements.
- A demonstrated history of being a team player, and desire to jump in and get your hands dirty as needed.
Medical, dental, vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents).
Flexible vacation policy + flexible work hours.
Fun team events outside of work hours.
Awesome team that cares about Shippo's mission, product, and co-workers!