Director of Product Design
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
Shippo is looking for a Director of Product Design to build and lead our rapidly growing product design organization. You’ll have the opportunity to lead our product design team from an early stage, shaping our design culture, process, and talent to craft a world-class organization. You’ll own the entire user experience for a mission critical solution, shipping, in one of the fastest growing markets, e-commerce. You’ll serve a diverse set of personas, with your team delivering experiences for merchants, carriers, consumers, and integration partners and developers. You’ll be a critical partner in setting product strategy at a company that truly values design, and where the experience we deliver is one of the primary reasons our customers love Shippo.
- Build, lead, and manage, a growing team of designers, including design managers and leaders.
- Own and actively drive the holistic user experience for our products.
- Partner on product strategy and help shape our product roadmap to advocate for and deliver high quality experiences for merchants, carriers, consumers, and all personas in the e-commerce ecosystem.
- Influence design-driven thinking at the company, resulting in tangible improvements to our products.
- Oversee execution across our portfolio of projects, scaling design resources accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and that your org is effective.
- Create and shape a vision, identity, and culture for Shippo’s design organization.
- Develop design talent and build a thriving culture where designers grow in their careers and feel a strong sense of inclusion and belonging.
- Build a culture of research, capturing the right inputs and insights at each step in our design process.
- Foster a strong, collaborative design practice
- 10+ years of relevant design experience.
- 5+ years of leadership experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership.
- Experience building design teams from scratch or early stage is a plus.
- Hands-on experience doing visual design, interaction design, and user research.
- B2B experience for products with a high quality and experience bar.
- Experience designing for products with APIs, integration, or marketplace components is a plus
- Medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!