Senior Data Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA /
Govini is the leading Commercial Data company in the Defense Technology space. Built by Govini, Ark.ai is used at scale across the National Security sector of the U.S. federal government. This platform enables government analysts, program managers, and decision-makers to gain unprecedented visibility into the Companies, Capabilities, and Capital in National Security to solve challenges pertaining to Acquisition, Foreign Influence & Adversarial Capital, Nuclear Modernization, Procurement, Science & Technology, and Supply Chain. Govini has offices in Arlington, Virginia, San Francisco, California, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
We are seeking an exceptional and experienced data engineer who shares our passion and obsession with quality. You'll be a core member of our product and engineering team dedicated to helping our clients replace time-consuming, manual processes to reach informed real-time decisions about government markets, competitors, and agency relationships.
We need a skilled and dedicated data nerd to join our team to lead us in uncovering truth and meaning in data. You must be a hands-on engineer with a strong understanding of both data management and governance standards. You must also have strong interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally across internal teams as well as directly with end users and Govini platform SMEs.
In order to do this job well, you must be a curious and eager problem solver with a hunger for delivering high-quality data solutions. You have a passion for great work and nothing less than your best will do. You share our intolerance of mediocrity. You’re uber-smart, challenged by figuring things out and producing simple solutions to complex problems. Knowing there are always multiple answers to a problem, you know how to engage in a constructive dialogue to find the best path forward. You’re scrappy. We like scrappy.
This is a team member position, working onsite in our Pittsburgh, PA office.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Define and lead Govini's data lifecycle strategy across data acquisition, data ingestion, data cleansing, normalization and linkage.
- Ensure key entities within datasets are identified, resolved and linked to existing entities within the current master data repository.
- Apply various techniques to produce solutions to large-scale optimization problems, including data pre-processing, indexing, blocking, field and record comparison and classification.
- Improve data sharing, increase data repurposing and improve cost efficiency associated with data management efforts.
- Build best practices that help with chain of custody of data so it can be easily traced back to the source for accuracy and consistency.
- Work across functional teams to understand advanced statistical, machine learning, and text processing models and incorporate them into Govini’s existing data engineering infrastructure.
- Perform exploratory data analyses, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data and identify patterns.
- Work directly with users as well as SMEs to establish, create and populate optimal data architectures and structures, as well as articulate techniques and results using non-technical language.
- Must be able to work in the United States without visa sponsorship now or in the future
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience with programmatically transforming data
- Experience with RDBMS
- Advanced SQL programming skills
- Proficient usage of common data formats such as CSV, XML, and JSON
- Requires strong analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- A burning desire to tackle hard problems and create sustainable solutions
- Experience using Amazon Web Services
- Experience in or exposure to the nuances of a startup or other entrepreneurial environment
- Working knowledge with large (multiple terabytes) amounts of data
We firmly believe that past performance is the best indicator of future performance. If you thrive in ambiguity, are a self-starter, and care about solving technical problems in the national security domain, we’re eager to hear from you.
Govini is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.