Software Engineer, Frontend
Remote or Chișinău, Moldova
At GovPredict, we build products that make government more transparent and politics more efficient. Our clients count on our product to deliver timely information about political activity and manage their advocates so that they can win their public affairs campaigns.
Existing solutions for public affairs are bulky. Trying to tie together independent fly-in apps, data solutions and CRM is time consuming. We’ve brought all of the most important solutions together into a single platform for public affairs campaigns, so our clients can focus all of their time on what matters.
GovPredict's intelligence platform gives public affairs and political professionals access to millions of structured documents that concern federal, state, and local politics. An integrated grassroots platform supports advocacy campaigns to influence legislative and regulatory proposals. Our largest campaign contributions database is the largest in the world.
Our clients span many categories: associations like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Farm Credit Council, Fortune 500 companies like 21st Century Fox, educational institutions like the University of Pennsylvania, and various political campaigns, parties, & Congressional offices from both sides of the aisle.
GovPredict's headquarters are in Washington, DC where we have our business development team. Our product team works in distributed fashion all around the world with some of the team working from our office in Chișinău, Moldova.
We're growing fast and backed by Y Combinator and Joe Lonsdale, among others.
Our Tech Stack
Ruby on Rails, ReactJS, Python scrapers, Postgres, Mongo, Redis, Elastic Search, AWS, RabbitMQ, Terraform, and Ansible.
About the Job
As a Software Engineer in Frontend, you will primarily write code for the ReactJS frontend of our Rails application that power many of our products. You'll build new products we're launching as well as upgrades and maintenance on our current suite of products. You'll work in a small team of Rails and ReactJS engineers who will work together with you to build what's needed. You'll also work across teams with our data team when you are integrating a new data source into the platform. Even though we're a fast-moving startup, we still have the resources like a dedicated dev-ops team, designers, and product managers to help you focus purely on coding. That said, our engineers still have a strong influence on product direction.
More generally, as an engineer at GovPredict, you will participate in many parts of the engineering organization as it grows and as you grow as a member of our team. We ask our engineers to not only write code but to help us improve the organization. You will provide feedback on engineering operations, weigh in on architecture decisions, interview new candidates, and help make GP a place you love to work at.
We are hiring all levels of developers -- from junior to manager -- so don't be shy if you think you're under or over qualified for the role. We'll tailor the interview difficulty and evaluation process to the level you self-report.
You have the option of working remotely or from our Chișinău office.
- Strong technical background
- Comfortable with automated software testing frameworks (like RSpec)
- Deep knowledge of at least one front end framework (like React, Vue, Angular, etc)
- Desire to work with primarily ReactJS
- Experience building software that is used in production environments by real users
- Can take a task from gathering requirements to deployment and maintenance
- Able to communicate effectively in writing and orally in English
- Eager to learn new things and apply them quickly
- Ability to learn from more senior team members and guide more junior team members constructively
- Willing to work full-time with some overlap on US business hours (8am to 6pm EST)
- Smart team: Work amongst other strong developers that you can learn from
- Remote work: Work from home wherever you live in the world
- Office: If you live in Chisinau, you can work from our office filled with friendly people
- New Technology: We stay up-to-date on new technology and readily employ it in new projects
- New Data: Work with new data sources that no one else has worked with
- Mentorship: We believe strongly in leveling up our team members through mentorship and will help you learn and become better as an engineer
- Move Fast: Our team builds really fast and launches new projects all the time. It's a fun environment to work in where you'll never be bored
- Friendly Team: Our team members take the team commitment seriously and will go out of their way to help you accomplish your tasks
- Team Building: Every year, our entire development team goes to a new city to meet each other, do some work, and have a lot of fun together
- Challenging & Interesting Tasks: We have a lot of complex tasks that are a lot of fun to solve