Senior Backend Software Engineer, Cloud, NORAM/EMEA (Remote)
United States /
R&D – Engineering: Cloud /
About Grafana Labs:
There are more than 700,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include two other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs) and Grafana Tempo (for traces)
This is a remote position, and we are considering candidates in the Americas and India time zones.
About Grafana Cloud:
Grafana Cloud is our composable observability platform that integrates metrics, logs, and traces with Grafana. It allows our customers to leverage the best open source observability software – including Prometheus, Cortex, Loki, and Tempo – without the overhead of installing, maintaining and scaling their own observability stack.
Our Grafana Cloud pipeline moves millions of data points, loglines, and traces per second from our customers’ environments into a highly available, low-latency stack that processes and stores the data, and serves it to dashboards and alerting tools. We aim to grow this to hundreds of millions per second, and it's critical that as we grow, we improve our performance, increase our reliability, and do it all more efficiently.
You would be joining one of our Cloud squads, whose responsibilities span from adapting and delivering our open-source offerings to a cloud environment that can support millions of users, writing software that allows those users to easily send data from within their infrastructure, or helping to build monitoring and alerting solutions.
Our tech stack is mostly made up of services written in Go, running on multiple Kubernetes clusters that leverage Google’s Cloud Platform.
Our culture is remote-first and our engineering organization is largely remote. We provide guidance and meet regularly using video calls, so an independent attitude and strong communication skills are a must
Within 1 month you will be able to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of our cloud product and our customers
- Get to know the codebase and contribute to our growing list of third-party integrations
- Participate in ongoing design discussions that allow us to collaborate on and inform our technical decisions
- Significantly contribute to a major initiative in our roadmap
Within 3 months you will be able to:
- Take an active role in shaping our roadmap and your own career objectives
- Drive a project from initial ideation all the way to operations once it is in the hands of customers
- Embrace our open-source culture and contribute to other projects that may not directly fall within your team’s scope
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotations and take ownership of the services you’re running
- You are familiar with programming languages like Go, C, C#, C++, or Rust
- You are able to write clean, robust, and performant software
- You have experience with network programming or distributed systems development
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with operations/SRE and the concept of infrastructure as code
- Experience with the observability space in general (metrics, logging, tracing, monitoring, alerting)
- Experience with Kubernetes / Kafka / Cassandra / Bigtable / syslog / opentracing or similar technologies
- Familiarity with time-series applications and concepts, especially Graphite or Prometheus.
Our hiring process:
- Video chat with one of our Talent Managers (30 mins)
- Video chat with 2 Hiring Managers (30 mins)
- Live Coding Interview with 2 Engineers (60 mins)
- Systems Design focused interview (45 mins)
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.