Senior Staff Infrastructure Architect - Lab Processing #3052
Menlo Park, CA /
General & Administration – IT /
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Staff Infrastructure Architect to lead the design, implementation, and maintenance of the hybrid on-premises and cloud network, compute and storage infrastructure required to support high-volume automated lab processing of blood samples. The successful candidate will have extensive experience with network, compute (centralized and on the edge), storage infrastructure, plus logging, monitoring and alerting within a regulated and secure lab environment. The candidate will collaborate with lab scientists, IT teams, and vendors to ensure the performance, reliability, scalability, and security of the IT infrastructure and applications.
This is a hybrid role.
- Infrastructure Design and Implementation
- Lead the design and implementation of the infrastructure required to support high-volume automated lab processing of blood samples
- Develop disaster recovery and business continuity plans to ensure the availability of critical systems and data
- Implement security controls according to the Purdue Model for industrial control systems to protect operational technology
- Infrastructure Management and Monitoring
- Manage and monitor the performance of the infrastructure, proactively identify and resolve issues, and ensure compliance with industry regulations and standards, including HIPAA and CLIA
- Lead the development and implementation of standard operating procedures and best practices for IT infrastructure management and application deployment
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions, and make recommendations to improve the performance, scalability, and security of the infrastructure
- Hybrid Cloud and Edge Computing
- Design and implement hybrid cloud architectures to support on-premises and cloud-based lab processing workloads
- Implement and manage edge computing solutions to support real-time processing and analysis of data generated by sidecar computers connected to liquid handling robots
- Work with cloud providers, such as AWS, to ensure the secure and efficient integration of cloud-based services with the on-premises infrastructure
- Strategic Roadmap Planning
- Develop and maintain a strategic roadmap for the infrastructure to support the organization's short-term and long-term goals
- Identify opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the infrastructure through the adoption of emerging technologies and best practices
- Collaborate with business leaders and stakeholders to align infrastructure plans with organizational priorities and strategies
- Collaboration and Leadership
- Collaborate with lab scientists, Software and IT teams, and vendors to ensure the infrastructure meets the requirements for reliability, scalability, and security
- Communicate with stakeholders and leadership to provide updates on the status of infrastructure projects and initiatives
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to junior members of the infrastructure team
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in designing, implementing, and managing infrastructure in a high-volume laboratory setting
- Extensive experience with VMware ESXi and vCenter, Palo Alto firewalls, Juniper network switches, Pure Flash Array technology, Pure Flash Blade object storage, hybrid cloud architectures, sidecar computers connected to liquid handling robots, OS image management, and the Purdue Model for industrial control systems
- Strong knowledge of network protocols, virtualization technologies, and security best practices
- Experience with disaster recovery and business continuity planning, as well as regulatory compliance requirements (e.g., HIPAA, CLIA)
- Experience in strategic roadmap planning and execution, as well as alignment with organizational priorities and strategies
- Experience with hybrid cloud architectures, AWS, and edge computing solutions
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills
- Ability to lead and mentor junior members of the infrastructure team
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with a diverse team of stakeholders, including lab scientists, Software and IT teams, vendors, and business leaders
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in vendor management and contract negotiation
The estimated, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $193,000 - $289,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.