Manager, Engineering Operations #2709 (Second Shift)
Raleigh, NC; Durham, NC /
Research & Development – Lab Operations /
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Manager, Operations Engineering will lead a key operations team that oversees technical engineering support for a variety of process automation hardware, software applications, and laboratory equipment to support smooth lab operations. Working cross-functionally with Operations, R&D, and Software groups, you will drive robust equipment and automation operations with the leadership of a team of talented operations engineers/technicians. The successful candidate will be a scientist or engineer with a proven track record of owning complex systems as well as implementing continuous process improvements in a regulated operations setting. GRAIL’s testing volumes are scaling fast and require a dynamic and detail-oriented leader to help deliver our revolutionary test to as many people as possible.
Expected schedule is on-site, second shift Monday to Friday with potential for minor changes in hours as the team expands. This position requires on-call duty and may need to support weekends and holidays.
- Build and manage a team of engineers/technicians with the diverse scientific and technical skills required to support, troubleshoot, and improve complex automation systems in a regulated environment
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, delegate and empower team members to maximize the system up time for 24x7 operations
- Lead area work responsibilities, effectively triage opportunities, direct work based on team skill set, and coach and guide staff to support the area and operators’ day to day following cGMP/GLP and Quality Management System (QMS) guidelines.
- Lead root cause investigations, drive for resolutions, and follow those up with corrective and preventative actions for area of responsibility
- Make time sensitive technical decisions.
- Oversee service contracts and OPEX spends for operations group, support CAPEX planning
- Participate, be a role model, and adhere to GRAIL’s policies and guidelines.
- Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment as part of the continuous improvement process.
- Work closely with Quality and regulatory to implement and follow the required policies and procedures for system qualification, maintenance, and calibration
Your Background Should Include;
- 8+ years of related experience with a BS/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Life Sciences or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years managerial experience in a similar work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, coach, build, lead, and mentor engineers/technicians.
- Excellent communication skills to work as a leader and provide internal customer support.
- Excellent time management skills to support a fast paced working environment.
- Excellent troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills in both hardware and software.
- Strong experience with writing and implementing test protocols and procedures.
- Experience executing within a computerized maintenance/calibration management system.
- Knowledge Safety Training, lock out tag out (LOTO), Hazardous material, and waste handling.
- Strong hands-on experience in technical troubleshooting and maintenance in regards to liquid handling equipment.(e.g., Agilent, Hamilton, Labcyte, Illumina etc.)
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Manufacturing Management Systems(MES), scheduling software, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, Green Button Go (GBG)
- Knowledge of molecular biology to best support equipment activities in an next generation sequencing (NGS) workflow.
- Knowledge of IT networking and systems infrastructure.
- Strong industrial electrical and mechanical knowledge.
- Project management skills.
- Experience working with Illumina NGS technology platforms.
Physical Demands/Working Environment;
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs/ladders, kneel, crouch, or wear safety gear.
- Must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Travel up to 10% of the time
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.