Lead Platform Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Infrastructure Engineering
Grand Rounds' vision is to create a path to great health and health care, for everyone, everywhere. Founded in 2011, the company provides an employer-based technology solution that connects members and their families to high-quality care. With Grand Rounds, employers get a personalized, high-performance network at scale, while their employees get the tools and support needed to navigate their care on their own terms.
Named Glassdoor’s Best Place to Work in 2019 and Rock Health’s 2018 Fastest Growing Company, Grand Rounds helps restore individual health and quality of life, and offers employers lower health care spend and higher employee productivity. For more information, please visit www.grandrounds.com.
Platform Engineering at Grand Rounds:
The Platform Engineering team at Grand Rounds builds the foundational components and services that allows our technology teams deliver the business applications which drive the insights from healthcare needed to match our members with the highest quality providers.
Why we need you:
Patient data portability is the key to modern healthcare, and your team will be directly responsible for exposing the interfaces and access to data that will lead to differentiating innovation for our organization.
As a key part of our platform services team, you'll be redefining our platform into an API-first service oriented architecture. Some challenges you will solve: authentication and authorization, low latency APIs with end-to-end tracing, and the implementation of event sourcing and CQRS patterns.
We're built on Amazon Web Services and are widely adopting GraphQL along with the industry FHIR standard. Our applications are primarily written in Ruby, but we believe in using the best tools, techniques, framework or languages for the job. We have an internally-defined techradar architecture process where new technologies are constantly vetted through assess, trial, and adoption phases.
Some recent projects of the Platform Team include:
- Consolidated API schema using Apollo Server to perform schema stitching across a number of microservices.
- DevOn allows development on a single service, locally backed by a sandboxed version of our platform, running in the cloud using Docker and Envoy.
- Encrypted Kinesis payloads via Envoy sidecars enabling applications to encrypt and decrypt payloads that are communicated over Kinesis.
- Automated infrastructure using Packer to build machine images as part of our CI/CD pipeline.
- Migrated from Cloudwatch to Terraform and the wide adoption of infrastructure as code.
- Created a Dockerized deployment infrastructure backed by Amazon ECS
- Solid (5+ years) experience throughout the stack, applying through practice, proven design patterns
- Operation and design of robust distributed systems ideally on Amazon Web Services
- Experience with Java, Scala, Go
- Practical experience with open source technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Envoy, Kafka, Airflow, Spark, Terraform, Packer, Vault
- Ability to write SQL and design relational, document, and column oriented database schemas
- Working with data at the petabyte scale
- Passion for delivering high quality code and solutions that are built on modern DevSecOps principles
- Eagerness and ability to propose, evaluate, and socialize new technologies for adoption
This is a full-time position located in San Francisco, CA. We are willing to relocate candidates, and we encourage you to apply if you feel you meet most but not all of the above requirements. You can also contact our Recruiter, Devin Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have any questions.
Grand Rounds is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Grand Rounds considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.