Senior Insights Platform Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Grand Rounds is a new kind of healthcare company. Founded in 2011, the company is on a mission to raise the standard of healthcare for everyone, everywhere. The Grand Rounds team goes above and beyond to connect and guide people to the highest quality healthcare available for themselves and their loved ones. Grand Rounds creates products and services that give people the best possible healthcare experience. Named a 2019 Best Place to Work by Glassdoor and Rock Health’s 2018 Fastest Growing Company, Grand Rounds works with inspiring employers and doctors to empower them to be the change agents we need to make our shared vision a reality.
What’s the point of warehousing valuable data if your analysts and researchers can’t navigate its complexities? At Grand Rounds we’re focused on reducing the cognitive load of navigating complex, rich, valuable healthcare data. We have a two-pronged strategy: one, design a rational, intuitive data model; two, build a platform that allows analysts and researchers to discover insights painlessly. This role will have ownership of the second prong of that strategy.
We’re hiring an engineer to be one of two founding members of the insights platform team. In this role, you’ll be tasked with establishing the technical vision, driving the roadmap (one year and beyond), and doing the heavy lifting of building for immediate value and balancing prioritization decisions of moving fast with building to last.
Success in this role means not only building the platform that creates a seamless and painless experience using Grand Rounds’ data, but shifting the culture of the organization to further embrace data-driven decision making in product roadmapping.
* This person can sit remotely anywhere in the US
- Work with users to deeply understand how they will use data, and pair closely with them to drive the business to excellent solutions.
- Deeply understand analyst and researcher workflows
- Prioritize the team’s work to deliver business impact
- Design the platform that navigates our modeled healthcare data (using HL7’s FHIR and projections from FHIR)
- Collaborate with our data infrastructure team to make opinionated recommendations to influence their roadmap and deliver more quickly on yours
- Build APIs and services
- Integrate open source, commercial and proprietary systems and services
- 5+ years of full-stack software development
- Strong design and programming skills (spanning JVM, scripting, SQL, and frontend)
- Hands-on experience working in distributed data environments (Kafka, Presto, Spark)
- Experience with relational databases and data modeling
- Experience with data visualization platforms (Tableau, Looker)
- Working knowledge of data lifecycle and concepts like lineage, governance, privacy, security, retention, de-identification, etc.
- Experience with AWS
- Knowledge or experience in search databases (ElasticSearch)
You’re not expected to have expertise in all of these areas! We have growth mindsets and expect you to as well!
Grand Rounds is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Grand Rounds considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.