Director/Senior Director – Medical and Scientific Communications
South San Francisco /
Graphite Bio is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on harnessing the power of targeted DNA integration. Graphite Bio uses next-generation CRISPR based technology platforms for developing curative gene correction-based stem cell therapies for serious and life-threatening genetic diseases with inadequate existing treatment options
The Director/Senior Director, Medical and Scientific Communications plays a critical role at Graphite Bio. Reporting to the Head of Translational Medicine, you will work in partnership with a talented and collaborative team across our Research/Pre-Clinical, CMC, Regulatory, Clinical and Quality organizations to author and drive development of key external communications in support of our gene therapy programs. You will be empowered to interpret data, formulate messaging and strategize on the development of scientific and medical communications and develop key content and messaging about our data and novel platforms. This role will be responsible for the build of critical external communications infrastructure and processes at Graphite, including the development of best practices and resources for management and timelines, template and shell creation, lexicon and document QC, publishing and editing standards to support scientific communications, including the creation of manuscripts, abstracts and posters for congresses and external publication
What You Will Do:
- In partnership with cross-functional teams, critically analyze and interpret data (internal and external) to develop crucial strategy, conclusions and messaging. Gain internal alignment necessary to advance key data for external medical communications. As needed, perform literature and scientific database searches in support of analyses and development of background summaries.
- Participate on teams as a key thought leader to develop strategy and approach, ensuring consistency and efficiency with how messaging and documents are built and organized, contributing scientific knowledge and analytical skills.
- Build a scalable medical and scientific communications infrastructure, with an emphasis on resourcing, that includes collaborating closely with teams to develop realistic timelines to meet communication deliverables and program goals.
- As needed, collaborate with internal and external authors/vendors in support of development of written deliverables, overseeing operational considerations and ensuring awareness of expectations, milestones, and deliverables.
- Partner for future activities like Ad Boards, KOL engagement, evidence generation plan, conference presentations, posters etc.
What You Will Bring:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree or Ph.D./equivalent in a scientific discipline with 5+ years of scientific, medical communications experience
- Prior work history at a biotech or pharmaceutical company preferred; smaller company environment in the biotechnology is ideal.
- A strong background and track record of producing high-quality scientific and medical communications for internal/external distribution, ideally with prior gene therapy or stem cell biology experience and education.
- A strategic and flexible thinker who is able to translate complex data into clear, understandable, and compelling written summaries, interpretations and positions for multiple audiences.
- Ability to work, communicate and collaborate with colleagues and external stakeholders as a team-player with transparency in a data-driven, fast-paced and exciting environment.
- Capability and comfort with prioritizing multiple projects, deliverables and timelines to exercise thoughtful judgment, problem-solving and decision-making. Ability to think ahead and identify opportunities for change and improvement with an emphasis on operations and efficiency.
- Superior attention to detail and thoroughness related to processes, consistency, grammar, syntax, and scientific accuracy. Prior experience building a scientific and medical writing infrastructure and template repository is a plus.
- Exceptional computer skills and familiarity with key software and cloud programs for document creation (e.g., Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.) sharing/editing (e.g., Sharepoint, Graphpad, Tableau, etc.), and data visualization (e.g., Spotfire, etc.).
- A leader and role model who operates with an entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, independence, transparency, and exemplifies the Graphite Bio core values with a focus on improving the lives of patients and families.
Fit with Graphite Bio’s culture:
Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual
Values-based leadership consistent with Graphite Bios’ Core Values
Excitement about the vision and mission of Graphite Bio
Competitive salary with equity
Graphite Bio is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.