Platform Reliability Engineer
Full Time /
Greenlight is the leading family fintech company on a mission to help parents raise financially smart kids. We proudly serve more than 6 million parents and kids with our award-winning banking app for families. With Greenlight, parents can automate allowance, manage chores, set flexible spend controls, and invest for their family’s future. Kids and teens learn to earn, save, spend wisely, and invest.
At Greenlight, we believe every child should have the opportunity to become financially healthy and happy. It’s no small task, and that’s why we leap out of bed every morning to come to work. Because creating a better, brighter future for the next generation depends on it.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our SRE team in Infrastructure & Operations Org. In this role you will work collaboratively across many Engineering disciplines to ensure the foundation, security, and reliability that Greenlight’s platforms are built to meet the highest standards while continuing to innovate. With a people-first mindset, you will have the opportunity to foster and grow your career in a supportive and empowering environment.
Technologies we use:
- Node.js, Kotlin, Java, Spring Framework
- Datadog, Prometheus
- Kubernetes (specifically EKS), AWS, Terraform (IaC)
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis
- GitHub Actions for CI pipelines
- Ambassador, Helm, Argo CD
- REST, gRPC
What you will be doing:
- Enhancing existing services and applications to increase availability, reliability, and scalability in a microservices environment.
- Building and improving engineering internal tooling, process, and standards with focus on mature automation to enable faster, more consistent, more reliable, and highly repeatable application delivery.
- Acting as a conduit between product development and platform engineering teams to ensure services meet defined SLAs.
- Facilitate identifying Service Level Indicators (SLI) and define Service Level Objectives (SLO) to assess the stability and reliability of all our applications.
- Bringing efficiency and standardization to our Incident Management culture that thrives on continuous improvement, with a focus on a blameless culture and owning the tooling utilized throughout the incident response process.
- Being on an on-call rotation to respond to major production incidents that impact Greenlight’s customers, document the learnings and help proactively prevent incidents.
- Providing CI/CD stability and automation for the organization to build and deploy safely and reliably.
- Empower teams across the organization to monitor and observe their services, ensuring reporting, transparency, and SLO tracking.
What you should bring:
- 7+ years of previous experience working as a software engineer implementing best practices for observability, performance, scalability and reliability of your products.
- Strong programming skills and development background with history of working on large scale products in either Kotlin, Java, Node or TypeScript.
- Experience with containerised technologies such as Kubernetes or Docker.
- Experience implementing monitoring and alerting for services and establishing SLOs for services.
- Established experience working in a cloud-native ecosystem (AWS experience a plus).
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and experience with software development best practices, including version control, automation, and building/troubleshooting/maintaining continuous integration and delivery.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to work collaboratively within SRE and across Engineering.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with Terraform and Helm is a plus.
Who we are:
It takes a special team to aim for a never-been-done-before mission like ours. We’re looking for people who love working together because they know it makes us stronger, people who look to others and ask, “How can I help?” and then “How can we make this even better?” If you’re ready to roll up your sleeves and help parents raise a financially smart generation, apply to join our team.
Greenlight is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on age, race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including pregnancy, childbirth, or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.