Senior Front End Engineer
Ann Arbor, MI
Who We Are
Groundspeed Analytics, Inc. is a data analytics firm that is making sense of the unstructured information driving most decisions in the commercial insurance industry. We are team of insurance experts, data scientists, software engineers, and analysts working in a collaborative and fun environment. We work with some of the largest insurance companies in the world. Our clients treat us like partners and friends, and we are deeply committed to them.
We are also one of the fastest growing InsurTech firms in the world, recently recognized as one of the 250 fastest growing FinTech startups in 2018 by CB Insights. We are co-located in Ann Arbor, Michigan (named the Best Place to Live in 2018 by Livability) and Atlanta, Georgia.
What We Do
Groundspeed is a data science and artificial intelligence (AI) company serving commercial property and casualty insurance carriers, brokers and managing general agents (MGAs). Our solutions unlock the value in unstructured information such as loss runs, exposure schedules, and policy data to automate core processes and provide powerful predictive risk analytics that improve margins, identify profit pools, and improve customer experience.
We are committed to building innovative solutions that apply approaches from the fields of deep and classical machine learning, natural language processing, and analytics. Our insurance industry domain knowledge paired with our technology expertise positions us uniquely in the market to address this challenging and high-value problem space. To meet that goal, we are working to create a world-class engineering and data science team.
We are looking for creative, enthusiastic, and collaborative professionals who don't shy away from hard problems. Our team is made up of people from a diverse set of fields, industries, and backgrounds — all of whom are focused on bringing everything they can offer to make this a successful team. We look for people who have a personal sense of responsibility to produce the best products and services possible, and expect the same from their team members. We are a culture that believe in iteration and strives to add value each and every sprint, and to do so without ego.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced front end software engineer with a proven track record delivering production quality software over, at least, the last five years. This isn't a "connect-the-dots" dev position — our engineers must be able to take loosely defined, complex ideas and run with them, working toward elegant results. You'll work with small teams to help define and, most importantly, build the systems and tooling for our data pipeline and analytics products, including creating advanced AI-driven automation, big data systems, analytical models, and applications to tie it all together.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership designing, developing, testing, deploying, and improving software
- Build systems that empower internal clients to accomplish more
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise
- Participate in code reviews and provide mentorship in a variety of software engineering areas to other team members
- Contribute to product design and architecture planning of major systems and features
- Help lead and scale our engineering organization by collaborating with leadership and stakeholders on a regular basis
- At least five years of experience contributing significantly to the development of cloud-native software solutions and web applications
- Background in multiple testing methodologies, such as unit testing, integration testing, load testing, etc.
- Knowledge of agile software development and continuous integration / deployment principles
- Fluency in a frontend MVC framework (we use React and Redux)
- Real-world experience with frontend build systems and deployment workflows (we use Webpack, Babel, Mocha, and Docker)
- Fluency in backend frameworks a plus ( Node/Express/Meteor and Python/Flask)
- Up to date with current ECMAScript standards and best practices, and comfortable with functional and object-oriented programming paradigms
- Persistent against challenges, quick to debug, and identifies problems to solve before users encounter issues
- Chooses tools and technologies for efficiency and performance, and understands trade-offs associated with those choices
- Understands the business impact of technical decisions and is empathetic to the user experience
- Demonstrates knowledge through practice of documentation, code reviews, mentoring, and contextualizing work across teams
Why Choose Groundspeed?
- Participate in the engineering process from start to finish — we value a culture of responsibility
- A collaborative team with mentors for every skill-level
- Use the best tools — productivity is key
- Immediate impact on challenging engineering tasks — rapid prototyping and iteration are essential to an efficient engineering process
- A culture that is committed to work-life balance
- A broad and growing benefits package that includes 3% contribution to a 401K plan, amazing health insurance, wellness reimbursement, snacks and drinks, and lunches every Friday
- Contribute to one of the fastest growing startups in Michigan in terms of revenue, headcount, and tech
We are Committed to a Diverse Workforce
Groundspeed is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. For more information about Groundspeed, please visit www.groundspeed.com.
Groundspeed Analytics, Inc. is an E-Verify Employer.