Senior Full-Stack / Founding Engineer
Remote, United States /
About the Company:
Grouparoo is a venture-backed software company building open source data tools that make data reliable, accessible, and actionable. We believe that teams do their best work when they are able to focus on their areas of expertise, but they struggle because of dependencies on other teams or obtuse technology. Our aim is to solve this problem by making tools to help our customers understand and take action on their data, and to make it easy for technical users to install and maintain. Funded by top-tier inventors, Grouparoo is creating open-core applications to simplify and automate the data syncing process within companies - solving both technical and organizational challenges.
About the Role:
As our first hire, you’ll be a Founding Engineer at Grouparoo. You will be responsible for helping to craft the roadmap, developing features, fixing bugs, and building products that make our customers happy. We are a small team, and so we are looking for generalist engineers who are interested in learning about a wide variety of tools and technologies rather than becoming experts in any one part of the stack. We connect many different APIs, databases, and vendors, so there’s always something new to learn.
We work in the open using an XP-inspired, open-source process driven by Stories and Pull Requests. Grouparoo is written in Typescript, and we use React, Actionhero, and Next.js as our major building blocks. Since we are building tools for others to use, we care a lot about the developer experience and how easy it is to install and run our products.
This role reports to the CTO. The salary range for this role is $135K-145K/yr. As our first hire, the equity range (stock options) is between 1.0%-1.3%. Grouparoo’s core hours are between 9am and noon Pacific time, but our distributed team members can be located anywhere in the USA (US work authorization required).
- Work with the founders and other stakeholders to create easy-to-use self-hosted products and tools.
- Contribute to the development of our core application(s), plugins, and example applications.
- Share operational responsibility for our sites’ uptime, testing, and deployment.
- Maintain our codebase. This responsibility includes a reasonable separation of concerns, clear code style, dependencies, and package management, and other best-practices.
- Share the customer support backlog, working with customers on their issues and bugs, as well as creating documentation and helping them create their own plugins.
- Help advocate Grouparoo in the developer Community through actions such as writing blog posts, engaging with developers on social media, or attending conferences. We believe that a feature isn’t done until it’s documented and announced. Building our Community is just as important as building our product.
- Work with the rest of the organization to scope realistic project goals and influence the product roadmap.
- Grow the team and mentor junior engineers.
What sets you up for success? You...
- Hold an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field, and/or 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Have experience working on fully remote teams, or have a desire to do so.
- Are excited to work with continuous integration and frequent releases.
- Are interested in writing code as much as you are in documenting and sharing your work
- Are a practitioner in at least 2 of the following areas:
> Front End Development (React, Next.js, webpack, UI/UX Design)
> Back End Development (Node.js, Actionhero, Sequelize, NPM)
> Deployment & Ops (Docker, Automation, various databases)
> Marketing Tools (Mailchimp, Salesforce, Marketo, Segment, etc)
Why work at Grouparoo
- Work with a highly motivated and collaborative team
- Have a significant impact on the product, business, and culture of an early-stage company
- Work remotely from anywhere in the U.S.A.
- Competitive compensation for a startup ( $135K-145K/yr + significant equity)
- Health benefits, including medical, dental, and vision
- Stipend to help cover internet expenses and your home office, including $1,000 when you start to help get your workplace set up
- 401(K) retirement benefits
- Parental leave
Grouparoo is an equal opportunity employer. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results, therefore we actively seek diverse candidates.