Senior Software Engineer
Software Engineering /
Groupthink is an early-stage startup using large language models (LLMs) like OpenAI's GPT-4 to create meeting facilitation software to improve collaboration and provide live note taking during Zoom calls. You can sign up to try it out in your next meeting at www.groupthink.com
This is a 100% remote job.
Groupthink is built with React, Laravel, NodeJS, Postgres, and AWS. Software development at Groupthink is managed with Github and Groupthink - simple tickets, attached to the relevant repo, with lots of roadmap and tickets to work on at any given moment.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll report to Jonathan (cofounder/CEO) alongside a small scrappy team of software engineers who develop Groupthink. You'll regularly interact with the other engineers, the UI designer, product managers, and the co-founders. You'll implement features on the frontend based on APIs built by others, create APIs that may be implemented on the frontend by another engineer, and also build end-to-end features.
You will be responsible for building new features, addressing bugs and technical debt, refining technical designs and architecture, making on-the-fly design decisions for 0-to-1 features design hasn't had a chance to touch yet, and generally being a very startup-y engineer.
You may also find yourself functioning as a "lead" at times collaborating on day-to-day management activities including unblocking other engineers, reviewing PRs, writing issues, assessing technical debt, planning sprints, expanding the product roadmap, and recruiting talented team members to join.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience working on product-focused software engineering teams. What makes this role "senior" is less about the years worked and more about your ability to exercise independent judgement, move fast, have opinions about the next move and be able to bring others along, and to help people get unstuck. You should be at the point in your career where you are someone other people want to emulate, but aren't arrogant about that.
Nice to Haves
One or more of the following experiences will be helpful to you in this role, but are not required:
- You have played with the technologies we use, including LLMs like GPT-4, the Laravel PHP framework, React, Next.js, and AWS
- You've used machine learning technologies outside of the current "AI/LLM craze" context (for example, you might have used them in genomics or embedded systems)
- You've worked in a startup that is pre-product/market fit
- You enjoy and prefer working remote, and have developed routines and set up a work space that makes this productive and comfortable for you
- You enjoy and prefer working asynchronously, and have developed excellent communication skills to support this preference
Thank you for reviewing this open position on the Groupthink team. We will be in touch with you shortly about next steps in the interview process.