Sr. Software Engineer (Back-End)
San Francisco, CA
Grove Collaborative is a digitally native brand and direct-to-consumer e-commerce platform for natural home and personal care products. With a mission to help every family create a healthy, beautiful home, Grove offers a flexible recurring shipment model and gives each customer a personal shopper, a “Grove Guide.”
What makes us different
We are a B Corp
We are a B Corp - a group of about 2500 companies (like Patagonia and Ben & Jerry's) that prioritize social & environmental impact as well as profits. We can only do well if our community, environment, employees, and customers do well too.
We have to engineer to move physical product; which is hard! And fun!
Scaling our technology doesn't just mean more users online, but also shipping and managing physical product at scale. Ever tried optimizing order routing across a network of distribution centers to minimize order splitting? Here's your chance.
We sell real things to real people, and make an impact
We’re not selling to Silicon Valley & New York; Our customers are real families across the United States. We’ve helped hundreds of thousands of families make better decisions, and use more sustainable products.
We ship code to production every day
We believe the key to development speed lies in automation, testing, and incremental change (incremental change, testing, and automation). Code isn't adding value if it's sitting in a branch; we are optimized to get to production and make an impact.
We are in a truly massive market
Laundry detergent alone is a $130bn global market. And there's been little innovation in the past decade. Across consumer goods, it's the same products, sold at the same brick & mortar grocery stores. We can do better for our customers, and for the world.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineering team of 13 (11 in San Francisco) works primarily in Python (we have Django, Flask, and, command line applications) and ES6 + VUE on the front end. On any given day, you’ll find engineers collaborating to track down the source of a strange pattern in our metrics, pair programming on a piece of brand new functionality, heads-down on a challenging refactor, or meeting with other departments to understand the business context for what we’re building. We are looking for exceptional developers to take on big challenges and innovate with our fast-growing team.
As a senior back-end software engineer, you will have a hand in architecting the technology and customer experience that run grove.co. You will join a team of world-class, highly motivated software engineers to deliver best e-commerce service patterns and practices that ensure developer productivity, a great end-user experience, and a performant website. We’re growing incredibly fast (5x year-over-year) and need maintainable and scalable technologies to power our website and internal tools. You’ll help make practical, deliberate decisions about which technologies to adopt (our current stack is Django, Postgres, Celery, and Flask on Heroku/AWS with JSON-API bridging the front-end) and make sure the team stays informed, happy, and productive as the services and architecture evolves.
- Make mature, bold decisions to move our systems forward.
- We’re increasingly service-oriented; experience decomposing a monolith
- Disseminate information and train other engineers on best practices and techniques for high-quality platform and services development
- Work with engineering leadership to create a platform technology roadmap and deliver against it
- Use your ideas to implement features and demonstrate how it ought to be done
- Advocate for new and better ways we should develop, and discover and implement new best practices for the development organization
- Contribute back to the open source projects we rely on
- 5+ years of strong back-end services implementation, and Python development experience
- Strong understanding of Python, Django, backend architecture, service design and creating scalable patterns to match our growth
- You love clean code and robust design
- You value and take responsibility for the quality of your features, including writing your own tests (unit, functional and integration) and reviewing your teammates’ code
- Keen nose for bad code smells
- Motivated and assertive in learning and helping your team be successful
- Innovator with good ideas, strong problem-solving abilities, and a results-oriented attitude
Our office doesn't have nerf guns and we celebrate real revenue milestones, not fundraising goals. We also have:
- A beautifully designed open office Located at Polk & Pine St in San Francisco near lots of delicious cafes & restaurants
- Fully stocked communal kitchen with on tap Kombucha
- Cozy "quiet room" for focussed work
- Small dog friendly
Let’s do this
We're building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come join the community at Grove. It's a heck of a lot of fun, and we'd love to tell you more about it.