R&D Food Scientist
Wholesale Operations – Research & Development (R&D)
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The R&D Food Scientist is responsible for research and development activities and operations for GTI. You will be responsible for the development and scaling of our R&D kitchen, which includes but is not limited to confectionaries, nano-emulsions, production of cannabis infused products, method development, compliance requirements, and workplace safety. The R&D Food Scientist will provide guidance to the lab team in the absence of the Lab Director. You must have constant curiosity, an insatiable desire to create and innovate in this brand new category of cannabis
- Develop and scale GTI’s R&D kitchen, with a focus on a product testing and development
- Conduct experimental design and executes lab scale pilot development in support of GTI’s objectives
- Implements and advances new research and development procedures & techniques
- Aid in in generating new SOPs, formulation spreadsheets, inventories, traceability and tracking logs, etc.
- Partner externally to source ingredients and works with supply chain director to leverage vendor expertise in ingredient functionality.
- Ensure the integrity of the R&D kitchen through high operational, compliance, and cleanliness standards, including GMP and Good Kitchen Practices standards
- Implement and maintains technical documentation of all phases of research and development, as well as maintain strict inventories and labeling of research and development raw materials, chemicals, and equipment.
- Lead key projects with research and development to support business goals, and assesses the scope of research projects and ensures they are on time and meet the requirements of the R&D director.
- Provide supervision and direction to R&D Lab Technicians and Senior R&D Lab Technicians and supports department hiring.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or higher in biology, chemistry, or physics.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered, including internal experience.
- Prior research and development or engineering experience in a CPG setting.
- Prior experience formulating consumer products.
- Ability to plan, design experiments, and problem solve.
- Capability of troubleshooting, fixing, and services a wide range of equipment and software without assistance.
- Knowledge of kitchen best practices and GMP.
- Must be able to carry out repetitive tasks at a continuously high level of quality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with coworkers and management.
- Familiarity with OSHA guidelines for dealing with hazardous chemicals.
- Understanding & adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as they pertain to the industry, safety regulations, local municipal codes and organizational rules, regulations, directives and standard operating procedures.
- Active driver’s license or State ID card.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must pass all required background checks.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal & company regulations for working in the industry.
- Must be approved by the D.O.A. to receive & maintain an Agent badge
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.