Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Wholesale Operations – Operations & Administration
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,400 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
As the GTI Environmental Health & Safety Manager, you will be responsible for providing effective implementation of EHS management systems to positively impact business performance, of which the safety of our staff is the top priority. GTI has a number of manufacturing sites of varying size & complexity, all with specific EHS risks, operating under different regulatory structures with varying levels of EHS knowledge. This role will help evaluate these risks, develop appropriate remedial & corrective actions & assist with intervention following adverse findings in Independent Assurance Audits, Enterprise Oversight Inspections/Audits &/or Major Adverse Events.
This role may be based in our Chicago office, or remotely, and requires heavy travel (90%).
- Acting as EHS single point of contact for the GTI Supply Chain Head, monitoring & reporting EHS performance, training & setting best practices with all sites.
- Providing technical, engineering & legal input to any adverse audit/and or inspection findings.
- Leading EHS input to new capital projects & new product introductions.
- Coaching site EHS leads, EHS teams & site leadership team on how to improve EHS performance through effective management system implementation.
- Facilitating efforts with GTI insurers to ensure effective loss prevention and business continuity plans are in place.
- Collaborating with Shared Services / Functions (i.e., Quality, Eng, GPS, HR, IT, Procurement, and 3rd Party businesses, et al) to ensure EHS is integrated into the business strategy, risk mapping process & business continuity plans.
- Supporting sites in preparation for EHS audits conducted by corporate functions, regulatory enforcement authorities or EHS management system accreditation/certification bodies.
- Supporting sites in developing & implementing effective CAPA’s & sharing these learnings within region & function.
- Undertaking GEMBAs & audits at sites, warehouses & contract facilities. Supporting the supply chain in management of EHS at third party operators.
- Facilitating effective collaboration among EHS professionals to ensure good practice sharing & staff development in the control of risks.
- Ensuring appropriate numbers of qualified and competent EHS staff are available at each site to address EHS compliance, hazards, and risks.
- Implementing a culture of “total disclosure” regarding EHS regulatory compliance, audit results, and incidents to ensure that all of GTI benefits from the findings from these events.
- Ensuring an integrated, comprehensive approach is taken with environmental management to reduce contributions to GTI’s overall environmental impact.
- Bachelor’s degree
- CSP Preferred
- 15+ years’ experience in EHS & Engineering within the Consumer / Pharmaceuticals / FMCG industries.
- Experience designing, developing and/or implementing ISO or OHSAS management systems
- Proven knowledge & delivery in compliance. This will cover regulatory fields, Engineering, process, machinery & containment safety, hazardous area protection concepts & interaction with regulators/auditors.
- Project / program management & influencing across multiple sites.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of GTI
- Must have a solid understanding of the Medical Marijuana laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.