Wholesale Operations – Lab & Processing
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
About the Role:
The Laboratory Manager in Toledo, OH manages and directs our laboratory facilities and operations in our Toledo Manufacturing Center. We’re looking for someone who really smokes it when it comes to ensuring efficiency, refining procedures, and keeping morale sky-high. In this position, you’ll be responsible for all laboratory employees and the processes they work on daily, including extraction, distillation, roto-evaporation, decarboxylation, winterization, cannabis compounding, and cannabis trim management. You’ll be deeply involved in the training and education of laboratory staff members as well as in the continual process of reviewing operating procedures, guidelines, and policies. We’re looking for someone with a bit of a creative strain who can help develop cultural norms and organizational tools for the lab team and its daily tasks. This is the job for you if you wake up each day with new ideas for how to raise the quality of your team and your product even higher than before!
- Oversee and manage GTI’s production lab ensuring operations support the growing patient demand
- Oversee formulations of high quality medical cannabis products
- Ensure operations comply with all regulations, policies, and procedures relating to safety, security and health.
- Ability to master and control all equipment in a laboratory-type environment, including Cox, light hydrocarbon liquid solvent and solventless extraction methods
- Ensure consistency and efficacy of product through quality control testing and procedures
- Partner with Lab Managers across the country to develop and document Standard Operating Procedures for extraction and refinement
- Adopt and promote a high energy culture that stresses close communication and teamwork amongst all labs and departments
- Ensure best practices exist for recruiting, hiring and training lab teams on extraction and refinement within lab facilities.
- Provide subject matter expertise for evaluating procurement of lab equipment and best practices for build
- Assist with compliance, including the creation of batch production records and labels specific to each state and in accordance with company standards.
- Research extraction and refinement processes to ensure they meet or exceed industry standards
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, related science degree and 5+ years managing professional lab environment, Masters Degree preferred.
- Proven strategic experience in overseeing all aspects of professional production laboratory environments including equipment handling, production operations, processing and execution
- Experience in managing a lab creating consumables, coordinating supplies, and maintaining equipment
- Demonstrated experience in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning
- Proven expertise managing large dispersed teams, recruitment practices, training and onboarding with history of success as a manager
- Experience in cannabis product formulation and processing, i.e. vape oil post processing techniques, winterization, separation, isolation, product refinement, fractional distillation, etc. preferred
- Familiarity with OSHA guidelines for dealing with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to use standard office equipment, computer equipment and software including word processing, database management, spreadsheet applications and email
- Knowledge of laboratory best practices including data entry, cleanliness, and systems
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of GTI
- Must have a solid understanding of the Medical Marijuana laws, rules and regulations set forth by the state and the D.O.A.; a pursuit to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws is appreciated and commendable
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Physical demands – May be required to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 50 pounds (200 pounds with assistance).
- Active driver’s license or State ID card
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must pass all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal & company regulations for working in the industry
- Must be approved by the D.O.A. to receive & maintain an Agent badge
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.