Wholesale Operations – Cultivation (Grow)
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
We are in search for a Head Grower to manage and direct our grow facilities and operations in Paterson, NJ. We’re looking for someone who lights up the charts when it comes to ensuring efficiency, refining procedures, and keeping morale sky-high. A natural leader, the Head Grower will be deeply involved in the training and education of grow staff members as well as in the continual process of reviewing operating procedures, guidelines, and policies. We’re looking for someone with a bit of a creative strain who can help develop cultural norms and organizational tools for the grow team and its daily tasks. Finally, any good manager knows that running a smooth cultivation center is a joint effort—and the person in the Head Grower position will serve as the vital link between the grow team and the General Manager in Paterson and corporate GTI.
- Manage and coordinate the daily grow operations and Grow process, including: taking clones, potting, transfers, watering, mixing, flower blocks, spraying, cleaning, maintenance, harvesting and schedules/timelines for each, equipment requirements and training/ development.
- Supports the General Manager with all compliance issues related to the Grow department.
- Supports the General Manager and HR/Compliance Manager in tracking the Grow department’s budget.
- Ensures constant updates are provided for any and all Grow-related equipment.
- Utilizes Grow labor force effectively to meet operating budgets.
- Conducts studies, identifies problems, recommends alternatives and implements solutions in coordination with the CEO.
- Continually reviews current systems for operational efficiency.
- Participate in developing and implementing rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to advance GTI’s mission, vision, goals, and objectives for the grow team
- Manage, supervise and direct the activities of assigned staff; make recommendations regarding hiring, discipline, termination or advancement of employees. Assign work and monitor progress; guide, train and develop employees in the accomplishment of their duties and goals through professional growth
- Direct and assist management of grow schedules, personnel and quality assurance practices
- Assure compliance with local, state, and federal licensing requirements
- Accurate data entry in inventory tracking systems
- Will be required to be on-call and to respond to emergency situations at any time. This may include scheduling issues, potentially covering a vacant shift, facility issues and/ or human resources requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, related science degree and 5+ years managing professional production agriculture environment, Masters Degree preferred.
- 5+ years of commercial greenhouse cultivation experience
- Proven strategic experience in overseeing all aspects of professional production BigAg environments including equipment handling, production operations, processing and execution
- Knowledgeable of growing methods including micronutrients, beneficial bacteria, and nutrient implementation
- Knowledge of plant diseases, insects, and fungi, as well as plant treatment options
- Strong knowledge of plant varieties with high yield and /or disease and insect resistant characteristics
- Cannabis growing experience preferred, not required
- Experience building and managing high performance teams.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of GTI
- Must have a solid understanding of the Medical Marijuana laws, rules and regulations set forth by the state; a pursuit to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved to receive an Agent badge
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, talking, hearing, climbing, reaching, squatting, kneeling, crawling, seeing and repetitive motions.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to work on feet. Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 50 pounds (100 pounds with assistance) AND must be able to do so safely with extreme care and caution.
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.