Marketing Director, Retail
Chicago, IL (HQ)
Retail – Marketing & Merchandising
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
As a Marketing Director for Rise, the retail division of GTI, you will be responsible for leading and executing integrated marketing solutions for individual stores (aka dispensaries) within specific geographies. This role will be a key contributor to the Rise brand’s marketing and positioning strategy with the goals of increasing brand awareness as well as customer acquisition and retention. This role is the hub in a wheel with many spokes – effective communication and relationship-building with a variety of members across multiple geographies and disciplines is central to success.
A successful Marketing Director is comfortable at the intersection of branding and selling. The Director will assume ownership of developing marketing strategies that build brand preference in conjunction with relevant promotional events and local community outreach activities. Candidates for this position will be obsessed with creating a memorable, empathetic, and differentiated Patient/Guest experience from “search-to-sale” and beyond.
Cannabis is a high growth industry full of complexity and potential. Rise Retail aims to be the standard bearer for what matters most in the cannabis dispensary: helping patients and people connect to the best plant-based experience possible for their individual needs.
- Partner with Marketing Director counterparts and Retail Operations team to help define marketing strategies and opportunities that build GTI/Rise’s brand visibility within the larger cannabis industry as well as within the local communities of individual Rise Retail stores.
- Support existing stores, and New Store Openings, with traffic-building activities across the marketing mix. Develop promotional/content calendars for product features, seasonal moments, loyalty program, and hyper-local community outreach.
- Balance long term strategic vision with extremely fast-paced tactical demands of cannabis retail; anticipate and react to changes in the cannabis marketplace.
- Know each of your markets intimately: the consumers, the competitors, product trends, and revenue patterns. Collaborate closely with individual store General Managers.
- Establish and maintain scalable processes for tactical execution and budget management;
- Establish and maintain productive communication channels between the Field and headquarters.
- 7+ years acquiring experience in strategic marketing/calendar planning, project management, and local marketing activations – ideally in retail
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or related field preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of digital marketing (social, SEO, SEM) and how to leverage Paid, Earned, Owned communication channels to drive results
- Experience identifying opportunities for the offline and online integration of customer engagement and traffic-driving initiatives across the entire Customer Journey
- You have a good cultural antenna and good radar for human insights – you can use both hard data and soft skills to quickly frame a marketing need or opportunity
- Experience with various digital marketing tools and project management platforms
- Thoughtful team leader who knows how to effectively collaborate, motivate, communicate, and inspire a multi-disciplinary team residing in headquarters, field operations, and in-store
- Highly motivated, self-directed, conscientious and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment – must be willing to travel
- Possesses in equal measure a talent for understanding brand-building and a bias for action
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of GTI
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved by the D.O.A. to receive an Agent badge
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.