Compliance Specialist, Licensing
Chicago, IL (HQ)
Corporate – Legal & Compliance
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
About the Role:
As the Licensing Specialist at Green Thumb Industries you will be responsible for the drafting and submitting process of applications for new markets as well as tracking and initiating licensing renewals across the business. You will collaborate with the compliance and legal teams, as well as cross-functionally, on all projects related to licensing. Our ideal candidate is one with 4+ years of applicable experience in licensing who is comfortable working with ambiguity and invigorated by the challenge of licensing in a new and highly regulated industry!
- Collaborate with Technical Writer on drafting and submitting applications for new markets
- Initiate license renewals and organize materials for submission to state regulatory agencies
- Notify regulatory agencies of ownership changes
- Work with the compliance coordinator to maintain an up-to-date database and records of all state and local licenses/permits for all retail and wholesale facilities
- Oversee principal officer registrations, badging, and fingerprinting
- Maintain an up-to-date/secure database of all principal officer and entity data for licensing purposes
- Work with HR on instituting transparency with badging/renewal accountability through HRIS
- Ensure facilities receive all licenses in a timely manner to post on-site
- Work with outside counsel as needed, in certain markets, for license renewals, principal officer registrations, M&A, and ownership updates
- Evaluate and improve efficiency of current team structures and processes as well as implementing new systems and processes as necessary
- 4+ years experience in licensing, highly regulated industry experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Paralegal certification preferred
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Comfortable working with a degree of ambiguity
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must have a solid understanding of the laws, rules and regulations applicable to the cannabis industry and passion to further your understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the cannabis industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.