People Ops Specialist
Chicago, IL (HQ)
Corporate – People & Culture
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The People Ops Specialist is a critical role on GTI’s People Team where our focus is all about our clients, our very own GTI employees. This role is a hands-on role that will primarily support the HRBP team as a knowledge hub and key support player utilizing data to best executive and make recommendations for continuous improvement of day-to-day operations for the People team and functional excellence. Additionally, you will program manage and support employee relations matter, leave of absence and accommodation tracking, data and reporting, and to help assess the needs of the People team which entails communicating proactively with the internal team to develop and execute on projects.
Our ideal candidate will possess a working knowledge of traditional human resources functions including employee relations, payroll, benefits, and talent management. You are deliberate and thoughtful in your approach as a representative of the People team with the goal of creating a high performing, engaged team and culture. Most importantly, you MUST be insanely positive with high energy and HUNGRY to grow your career in the People function.
- Overall Talent Management Support: Provide analytical, transactional and administrative HR support to the HRBPs by responding to ad-hoc reporting needs and prepares summaries and tracks key initiatives. As needed, supports HRBPs in the coordination of large projects including preparing communications and project plans for performance management, year-end compensation, talent reviews, engagement surveys, and compensation reviews.
- Program Management: Lead ongoing programs such as monthly New Hire Onboarding, Best Buds, and strategic to make improvements and/or suggest new programs that is right for our culture and our employees
- Employee Relations: Support the HRBP with any and all employee relations issue including investigations, management training and coaching. Provide guidance and assistance for employees and managers on core HR policies and processes. Document and maintain and communicate core HR processes to users and partners
- Leave & Accommodation Administrator: Administer and track leave process including FMLA, military leave, and personal leave and the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). Hand-in-hand with the HRBP, you respond to employee questions and regarding leaves of absences and participates in an interactive process with employees throughout the process.
- Data and Reporting: Ensure absolute accuracy in the HRIS system and leverage the data with additional tools (Analytica.ly) to pull and optimize turnover, exit interview and survey, transfers/promotions, ongoing headcount list and other pertinent data to strategically identify trends. Utilizing that data, partner closely with HRBP to formulate conclusions and drive decision-making and recommendations and execute on those processes.
- Technology Expert: Resident go-to support for the team on (as applicable) the assessment, implementation, maintenance and trainer for technology implementation, integrations or changes, such as Wurk, ShareJoint or Analytical.ly,
- Relationship Management: Create and maintain strong and trusting relationships across the organization; including the internal People team to ensure that our entire team can grow, scale, and exceed business objectives.
- Culture Consigliore: As a member of the People team, you are part of the heartbeat of GTI; you will assist in how to scale and enhance our culture as it relates to employee engagement, building morale and becoming a best place to work in the cannabis industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field, preferred
- 3+ years of experience as a strategic business partner and/or progressive HR Generalist experience
- Experience supporting a retail or manufacturing environments or high-growth, start-up, fast-paced and complex work environment, a plus
- PHR, SHRM-CP, Certification, preferred
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to confidently interface with all levels of the organization and build trusting relationships
- Highly motivated, self-directed and passionate about our people and our company but the ability to remain objective, emotionless, and rationale
- Strong use of judgment to identify and anticipate needs and make business-focused recommendations
- Effective organization and planning skills as well as solid analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities and function independently with minimal supervision
- Strong knowledge and application of federal and state employment laws
- Impeccable attention to detail; in fact, include “I am your canna-best People Ops Specialist candidate” in your cover letter
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.