HR Business Partner
Chicago, IL (HQ)
Corporate – People & Culture
Full-time / Exempt
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The HR Business Partner is a critical role on GTI’s People Team in our Chicago HQ office. This role will support our Corporate Shared Services team and will support and align the business objectives and our talent to scale our rapid growth. The HR Business Partner assesses and anticipates talent and development needs, communicating proactively with Leadership to develop integrated solutions that reflect the business objectives of the organization.
Our ideal candidate will possess strong working knowledge of traditional human resources functions including employee relations, compliance, performance management but most importantly, can apply them with a progressive approach. You will provide strategic perspectives to your business leaders where you evolve into an extension of the team. As the initial point of contact for all employee and personnel issues, you are deliberate and thoughtful in your approach to partner with your business leaders but still acting as a confidant to employees with the goal of creating a high performing, engaged team and culture. You are pragmatic, a leader, and most importantly, someone who enjoys the high-touch approach and are thrilled with non-stop action.
- People Liaison: You are the key component between the Executives and Leadership, and our employees for compensation, benefits, education, and employee relations. Additionally, you are the key to communicating the respective business changes as it applies to our internal People team functions, payroll, benefits, and recruitment.
- Culture Consigliore: As a member of the People team, you are part of the heartbeat of GTI; you will assist in how to scale and enhance our culture as it relates to employee engagement and becoming a best place to work in the cannabis industry. Creativity and the ability to challenge the norm is a must!
- Employee Relations: Serve as a confidential resource to the business unit employees and managers whether it be handling and escalating any employee relations issue in partnership with the People team and in-house/outside counsel. You can confidently advise the business leaders by collecting and compiling applicable information.
- Program Development and Process Improvement: Bring innovative thought to the creation, planning, roll-out and even possibly, the maintenance of programs and processes that are used at GTI today.
- Talent and Performance Management: Advocate for our employees as it relates to maximizing our team’s performance whether it’s developing career paths, engagement, succession planning, and performance evaluations.
- Relationship Management: Create and maintain strong and trusting relationships across the organization; partner with Corporate team, internal People team, or with your clients (Business Units and employees) to ensure that our entire team can grow, scale, and exceed business objectives.
- Change Management: Advise, and when necessary, lead in change management initiatives in business units by clearly understanding the strategic move and assisting with a communication plan and presenting recommendations to mitigate risks and ensure success in the change, as it relates to, personnel moves, M&A, or other organizational changes.
- There will be one-off projects, process improvements, and ability to partner with other centers of excellence, specifically with Payroll & Benefits and Talent Acquisition.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, Organizational Development
- 8+ years of experience as a strategic business partner and/or progressive HR Generalist
- Experience supporting a retail or traditional manufacturing environments, high-growth, fast-paced and complex work environment, a plus
- Experience with large population of hourly units and providing regional support, a plus
- SPHR, PHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP Certification, preferred
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to influence and confidently interface with all levels of the organization
- Highly motivated, self-directed and passionate about our people and our company but the ability to remain objective, emotionless, and rationale
- Effective organization and planning skills as well as solid analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills
- Strong business acumen and proven ability to integrate HR and business strategies: understanding of business/financial metrics and experience with managing the challenges associated with selected business partnerships, mergers/acquisitions, and organizational restructuring
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and coaching skills
- Impeccable attention to detail; in fact, include “I marijuana be your next HR Business Partner” in your cover letter
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.