Consultant / Senior Consultant - Boston or Chicago
Flexible Location /
Consulting – Consulting /
Our client works exclusively with private equity firms and the management teams of their portfolio companies. They are growing their team and seeking consultants (3-5 years of experience) and senior consultants (with 5+ years of experience) who enjoy learning fast and finding new ways to solve challenging and complex business issues. These are highly visible consulting roles where you’ll gain terrific client exposure, and your work will directly impact the team’s success.
We recognize you are driven by the opportunity to learn by doing. You'll directly interact with clients and are expected to take initiative, leading to increased responsibility. Working across a wide spectrum of industries on short-term engagements, you will constantly be learning, and expected to share your analyses and data-driven insights. This is an environment with enormous potential for client and industry exposure and career progression.
Our goal is to empower and challenge employees, with a better work/life balance than industry benchmarks. You get more content, more client exposure, and more time to think because that is the business model. No question: you’ll work hard like in any consulting firm, but there are several unique operational differences from other firms in the sector, whether large, mid-sized, or boutique. Case teams benefit from the global skill-specific research and analysis teams (secondary, primary, deep analytics) who provide overnight support. This efficient and focused approach is built around content and action orientation, rather than 3-4-5 day on-site models, and long-stays at client sites. While the world has reduced travel for the near term, this role was always far less travel than traditional consulting at about 10%.
Success at this firm stems from their ability to quickly diagnose client issues, develop clear fact-based answers and provide practical next steps. They tackle engagements by focusing on facts and analysis. The consultants are empowered to call it like they see it, rather than deliver answers they think clients want to hear. And this is how they have built an impressive client base of large and mid-cap private equity firms and their portfolio companies.
Why Work for Us?
- High-profile engagements with the large and mid-cap private equity firms globally, and the leadership teams of their portfolio companies.
- Front-line exposure and leadership roles with our action-oriented, non-bureaucratic client base across sectors and project types.
- Immersive learning opportunities in a fast-paced environment.
- Content-focused environment which can nourish your analytically driven opinion.
- Associates, consultants, and managers are supported by our unique business model with integrated international teams that deliver research, data, analysis, and overnight support to allow you more time to think.
- Opportunities for personal growth and career development based on the merits of your work – the chance to have more than a 2-3-year stint – real upward mobility. Good people who genuinely care about the firm’s success and are consistently exploring ways to improve and build upon its accomplishments.
Competitive compensation that rewards strong performance and solid career development through mentorship and coaching opportunities. In addition, we offer comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family, 401(k) savings plan with company matching, 3 weeks of vacation, life and disability insurance, generous parental leave, pre-tax transit benefits, mobile phone stipend, wellness reimbursement, charitable gift matching, and more.
- Lead modular components, major project objectives and occasionally own entire projects.
- Understand client's issues and effectively work with teams and "ask the right questions" to get at main issues and draw conclusions from the data collected.
- Develop as a subject matter expert (SME) for client and internal team.
- Design research plans, conduct business analyses, and discover insights from data.
- Structure client deliverables and act as the point person for content and structure thinking.
- Effectively present sections of a deliverable to clients and field any questions pertaining to your area of oversight.
- In many cases, you will be managing a small team of associates.
- Participate in client development efforts and help provide development opportunities to other junior team members.
You will serve as a key project team member responsible for understanding the client’s issues, structuring research plans, conducting in-depth analyses in support of client objectives, and building strategies. You will have exposure to a broad array of client needs and industries. Compensation consists of salary and bonus program competitive with leading strategy consulting firms. Travel pre-Covid was historically minimal (around 10%) and during Covid, we are currently adhering to local safety guidelines across offices.
- Consultant candidates must have 3-5 years of experience with a strategy consulting firm, strategic planning/corporate strategy group, or private equity/venture capital firm. Senior consultants must have 5+ years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree with demonstrated academic excellence.
- An MBA degree is valuable but not required.
- Excellent strategic thinking, understanding of business research and analysis.
- Strong quantitative and analytic skills required.
- Detail oriented.
- Effective communication skills: written, verbal, and video.
- Self-starter with an intellectual curiosity, motivated to keep move things forward.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Experience hitting deadlines, and experience or interest in managing small teams on project specific modules.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Team player.