Cyber Risk Modeler/Data Scientist, Guidewire Analytics
United States - Remote /
Analytics and Data Services /
Guidewire is searching for a catastrophe modeler to join us on our mission to transform cyber-insurance with the industry's leading cyber risk platform. Cyber is the #1 threat to US national security, above nuclear weapons, and our work here makes a meaningful impact in this space! You will collaborate with the Director of Risk Modeling.
Who We Are, What We Believe,& What We Build
Guidewire is the AWS of insurance. As the market leader, 380 insurance companies run on our mission critical platform. Every second, we support underwriters crafting policies and agents settling claims. We believe that making a great decision should not require 100 in-house data scientists. Our products range from cyber risk quantification to potent ML sandboxes. We are a post-IPO company with the vision to revolutionize insurance.
You are a passionate and creative critical problem solver, excited by the prospect of tackling hard problems and exploring the unknown.
- Developing and implementing methodologies to quantify the impact of cyber security risk, as well as other emerging risks affecting the P&C industry
- Exploring different data sources to come up with features and assumptions to enhance our set of risk models
- Calibrating, testing and validating different types of models in the insurance space
- Integrating modeling processes in our production pipeline to feed our platform
- Communicating technical details related to the models and their outputs to a variety of audiences
- Collaborating with cyber analysts, data engineers, risk modelers, and product managers
- PhD or MS degree in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or similar quantitative disciplines
- Solid statistics and predictive modeling foundations
- Experience in data analysis, feature engineering, data visualization and hypotheses testing
- Experience working different types of datasets (e.g. unstructured, semi-structured, with missing information)
- Experience in implementing parametric and non-parametric models in a production-level environment
- High level proficiency in Python or R, and SQL
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively in a dynamic environment, while picking up new tools and domain knowledge along the way
- A positive attitude, and a growth mindset
- Insurance, actuarial modeling or financial modeling experience
- General understanding of computer network and cybersecurity
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS), and open source data processing frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Mongo and Cassandra)
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to an inclusive workplace, and believe that a diversity of perspectives, abilities, and cultures is a key to our success. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
Disability Accommodations and Guidewire’s Appeals Process. Guidewire provides accommodations to the hiring process to create a fair opportunity for candidates with disabilities to contend for open positions. Accommodation requests should be directed to (650) 356-4940 or Accommodations@guidewire.com. If things do not go as hoped, we invite you to use our appeals process. Guidewire promises to independently review any denied accommodation and any decision not to offer you the position. The appeals process is the same in either case. Within five business days of receiving a notice of denial of an accommodation, or receiving a notice of your non-selection for a vacancy, call (650) 356-4940 or e-mail Accommodations@guidewire.com to make an appeal. Guidewire will assign a new decision-maker to review the request and/or hiring decision, who will then notify you in writing of a decision within 10 business days.