Software Engineer – Data Engineering , Birmingham, AL
Birmingham, AL /
Product Development /
Guidewire's development team is looking for a smart, proactive, and results-oriented Software Engineer to build elegant solutions for the property & casualty insurance industry's complex business domain and make our industry-leading products even better.
InsuranceNow product development team at Guidewire has an exciting opportunity for you! InsuranceNow product is an all-in-one core, data analytics and digital engagement system that provides comprehensive insurance business functionality. We are looking for mid to senior level experienced engineer, who will play a significant role in enhancing our Data and Analytics offering. If you don’t have any background in insurance domain, please don’t worry. We already have lot of folks with insurance domain knowledge, and they will collaborate with you to leverage the best of your skills., while you ramp up on insurance domain knowledge.
You will be part of highly collaborative team which leverages agile development methodology, pair programming and have fun with what they do every single day. You will have the opportunity to make an impact and contribute to a complex application suite of products that are mission-critical to several Property and Casualty Insurance companies.
Successful software engineers at Guidewire typically have:
- A desire to work collaboratively in an empowered, small, cross-functional team.
- Experience working in an agile development environment. (e.g. TDD, Agile, pair programming, etc.)
- A passion for code quality demonstrated by thorough testing.
- A desire to be hands-on in designing and writing code.
- Curiosity and internal motivation to constantly improve.
- Excellent communication skills, comfort level to speak their mind and defend ideas based on merit, yet humility and hunger to learn from others.
Key qualifications for the specific position are:
- 3-5 years of experience with building data warehouse, data lake, and must have worked building complex and high-performance ETL systems using Java.
- Solid understanding of SQL and relational databases. Experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL is highly desired, but experience with any other relational database is sufficient.
- Familiarity with Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, etc.
- Object-Oriented Software Design and strong knowledge of Java is a must.
- Agile development practices.
- Cloud Services (e.g. AWS) knowledge is a huge plus.
- Experience with data modeling, Analytics/Business Intelligence tools such as Looker, Microsoft BI, Tableau, SAP Business Objects is a strong plus.
- Basic knowledge of data science, statistics, and search technologies such as Elasticsearch, Lucene/Solr is a plus.
- A typical candidate has some experience with Computer Science or equivalent.
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. 380 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 700+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to an inclusive workplace, and believe that a diversity of perspectives, abilities, and cultures is a key to our success. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
Disability Accommodations and Guidewire’s Appeals Process. Guidewire provides accommodations to the hiring process to create a fair opportunity for candidates with disabilities to contend for open positions. Accommodation requests should be directed to (650) 356-4940 or Accommodations@guidewire.com. If things do not go as hoped, we invite you to use our appeals process. Guidewire promises to independently review any denied accommodation and any decision not to offer you the position. The appeals process is the same in either case. Within five business days of receiving a notice of denial of an accommodation, or receiving a notice of your non-selection for a vacancy, call (650) 356-4940 or e-mail Accommodations@guidewire.com to make an appeal. Guidewire will assign a new decision-maker to review the request and/or hiring decision, who will then notify you in writing of a decision within 10 business days.