Senior Software Engineer
Full-time - Permanent
Help us set people free from the hell of mortgages
You will become a domain expert by immersing yourself in the wider business to understand the
mortgage market and the technology that underpins how we set people free from the hell of
mortgages. In collaboration with the crew’s stakeholders, including product management, you’ll play
a leading role in shaping the product and the work you and your teammates will deliver.
Our engineers work in cross-functional teams typically comprising of 7 to 8 people including product
owners, designers and contributors which are empowered to meet their goals. We seek to give all
our crews the resources and support they need with a minimum of constraints.
You have a delivery focussed mindset and make use of agile software development practices to
ensure your crew’s success. We value collaboration, repeatability and continuous improvement.
We look for people who love to learn new things whilst using their existing skills and experience to
enrich the engineering team.
As a senior engineer, your responsibilities will encompass (but not be limited to):
- Driving the continued development of our codebase using a broad range of technologies cross our entire stack by writing well formed and properly documented code.
- Playing a leading role in the evolution of our system architecture, driving best practices and development processes throughout your crew and the wider engineering community.
- Defining and delivering improvements to our culture of automated testing and specification.
- Introducing and role modelling new tools and techniques that increase the speed of delivery, stability of our systems and drive an improved customer experience.
- Collaborating with your crew’s stakeholders and product managers to shape the work that the crew undertakes being proactive in identifying issues with scoping and requirements.
- Working closely with non-technical crew members to focus on building systems that directly serve our customers as much as possible and deliver simple solutions to complex problems.
- Mentoring and growing our awesome engineering community by supporting the professional development of your crew and playing an active role in recruitment.
We use lots of exciting technology
We value well architected solutions with reliable and maintainable code using the right software
engineering principles above all else. Our engineers want to deliver the best possible solution they
can and you will play a key role in ensuring our continued success in doing so.
We're big believers in using the right tools for the job to build the best software. Right now we mainly make use of functional programming, but are always evaluating our tools. Experience with functional programming or understanding of the functional programming principles is required for this role.
Our existing systems make heavy use of Haskell, PureScript and Typescript, Bazel and Nix as well as PostgreSQL. We deploy and operate our software using Docker and Kubernetes in AWS.
We believe in learning and development
Our engineers come from a number of backgrounds. We have self-taught team members working
with graduates from universities and bootcamps alike. Some of us have worked in large corporations
while some of us have only ever known startups. A portion of the team consistently enjoy full-stack
work, others prefer to specialise in certain areas. While your role and crew might see you targeting
certain areas of work, we see this only as a specialism. You can expect to be exposed to many other
parts of our codebase and to learn about and participate in its development while growing your own
skills and supporting the growth of other engineers in your crew. From regular talks and reading
groups to sponsored meet-ups and conference attendance, we want to help take our engineers to
the next level.
-Competitive salary and share options
-Free lunch Fridays, snacks and team bonding
-Enhanced maternity & paternity leave
-Free healthcare and life assurance
-Career development, coaching and training
-Contributory pension scheme
-Cycle to Work Scheme
More about Habito
You shouldn’t have to go through hell to get a mortgage. That’s why we built Habito.
We use breakthrough technology and top tier experts to deliver the most personalised, fast and convenient way to get a mortgage today. All for free.
We don’t stop at mortgages, either. Together we’re building whole new ways of buying and owning your home. At Habito, you’ll be a vital part of that future.
The creative brilliance and ingenuity at Habito wouldn’t be possible without a diverse team bringing different perspectives, experience and skills together. Now and in the future, we want to make sure everybody feels included, heard, and equal at Habito. We believe in treating everyone equally and giving them the same opportunities.