Junior Mortgage Underwriter
Full-time - Permanent
For many, the process of getting a mortgage is hellish; hellishly complicated, hellishly costly and hellishly outdated. At Habito, we’re changing that. We believe people shouldn’t have to go through hell to get a mortgage.
Since our launch in 2016, we have made it our mission to fundamentally change the way people finance their homes. Whether buying for the first time, remortgaging, moving house or buying as an investment, we have developed an award-winning service that puts our customers back in the driving seat, giving them greater control over their finances. We deliver industry-leading expert advice in real time, cutting edge AI-driven technology that gives them access to the best possible deals, plain English conversations and absolutely no fees whatsoever.
We’re enormously proud of what we’ve achieved. Together, our 100-strong team has built great things to bring this mission to life. We’ve won numerous industry awards for our innovation, our talent and our service. And our enviable roster of backers is testament to that hard work and vision: to date, we have raised £27.5million in funding from some of the biggest names in venture capital and FinTech – Atomico, Ribbit Capital and Mosaic Ventures as well as the founders of Funding Circle and TransferWise.
Most importantly, we’ve helped more than 160,000 people get the mortgage they deserve. Our proudest achievement yet is the love we get from our customers, borne out by consistently excellent TrustPilot reviews from more than 1,500 happy homeowners.
But our work never stops. The landscape continues to evolve and, because we believe in financial products that put the customer’s interests first by design, we have ambitious plans to continue innovating, improving and disrupting in this space. As our business scales up, to extend beyond brokerage and insurance into becoming a mortgage marketplace, our focus on pioneering product and best-in-class delivery is greater than ever.
Habito has already dramatically improved mortgage advice, but now we are going to transform the rest of the mortgage buying experience. With our new origination process we will bring personalised mortgages to the prime market in segments that are underserved today. Working with selected lenders, we will create mortgage propositions delivering the customer unrivalled speed and certainty.
The Junior Mortgage Underwriter will assess mortgage applications to ensure responsible lending, robust adherence to our various partners’ mandates and risk appetites, but also a fast, transparent and enjoyable customer experience. The successful candidate will be able to combine their mortgage experience with the best technology and great teamwork to create a truly special process with great outcomes.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Evaluating Mortgage applications in line with Habito Lending & Risk Policies and external regulations, and making approve/decline decisions within a given mandate
- Sharing knowledge and specific feedback with Habito’s Brokerage Operations team
- Identifying potential fraudulent applications/trends Ensuring that data capture methodology through the underwriting process is robust and accurate
- Providing credit expertise and recommendations to relevant teams around the business, including but not limited to product development, decision analytics, credit committees, marketing and the leadership team
- Contributing and supporting the material growth of the Marketplace business line
- Seeking opportunities to improve or grow our Marketplace proposition within our risk appetite
- Recommending to the business any opportunities where technology and automation can be further utilised to improve our assessment of credit risk
- Has a strong understanding of the UK regulatory mortgage framework
- Worked within mortgages previously and therefore has a knowledge of the full end-to-end mortgage process including Applications, valuations, conveyancing, servicing and collections
- Understands the macroeconomic indicators and environment that drives the UK mortgage industry
- Has ideally had an underwriting role in the past, although is not a necessity
- Is proactive and confident, and can contribute to the overall development of the team
- Can comfortably handle change and is adaptable in fast-evolving environments
“The stated experience level is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated”
Competitive salary & share options
Career development, coaching & training
Free catered lunches, snacks & team bonding
Free Healthcare & Life Assurance
Contributory pension scheme
Bi-weekly massages with Urban Massage
Cycle to Work Scheme