Full-time - Permanent
For many, the process of getting a mortgage is hellish; hellishly complicated, hellishly costly and hellishly outdated. At Habito, we’re changing that. We believe people shouldn’t have to go through hell to get a mortgage.
Since our launch in 2016, we have made it our mission to fundamentally change the way people finance their homes. Whether buying for the first time, remortgaging, moving house or buying as an investment, we have developed an award-winning service that puts our customers back in the driving seat, giving them greater control over their finances. We deliver industry-leading expert advice in real time, cutting edge AI-driven technology that gives them access to the best possible deals, plain English conversations and absolutely no fees whatsoever.
We’re enormously proud of what we’ve achieved. Together, our 100-strong team has built great things to bring this mission to life. We’ve won numerous industry awards for our innovation, our talent and our service. And our enviable roster of backers is testament to that hard work and vision: to date, we have raised £27.5million in funding from some of the biggest names in venture capital and FinTech – Atomico, Ribbit Capital and Mosaic Ventures as well as the founders of Funding Circle and TransferWise.
Most importantly, we’ve helped more than 160,000 people get the mortgage they deserve. Our proudest achievement yet is the love we get from our customers, borne out by consistently excellent TrustPilot reviews from more than 1,500 happy homeowners.
But our work never stops. The landscape continues to evolve and, because we believe in financial products that put the customer’s interests first by design, we have ambitious plans to continue innovating, improving and disrupting in this space. As our business scales up, to extend beyond brokerage and insurance into becoming a mortgage marketplace, our focus on pioneering product and best-in-class delivery is greater than ever.
The Legal Counsel will be an integral part of the full-service, lean and dynamic in-house Legal team at Habito, supporting the business in all aspects of its rapid growth, both with respect to day-to-day legal issues as well as specific and exciting company projects and initiatives.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Leading and assisting with various commercial contract reviews and negotiations
- Creating and implementing Legal function procedures and processes to supplement existing structures, to ensure a strong and stable platform upon which the business can continue to scale at pace
- Assisting the VP Legal with various company strategic initiatives, including transactional (e.g. corporate or finance related) work streams
- Supporting the People and Talent teams with employment law matters
- Supporting other functions in the business (e.g. the Marketing & Comms and Compliance teams) to ensure a fully joined up approach on key work streams
- Assisting with the documentation and processes for the company’s employee share option scheme
- Assisting with the drafting and roll-out of various company internal policies
- You are an English law qualified lawyer with approximately 3-4 years’ PQE* as a corporate / finance / commercial lawyer
- You have excellent private practice training and experience at a top tier law firm
- You have some prior in-house experience, either as a permanent member of a dynamic in-house legal team or otherwise in the form of a client secondment
- You possess excellent communication, negotiating and drafting skills
- You have a strong work ethic and attention to detail
- You are passionate about innovative, consumer facing technology products and businesses
- You are a team player who is driven, forward thinking, robust and innovative, with strong commercial acumen and a creative, entrepreneurial approach
*The stated experience level is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated
Competitive salary & share options
Career development, coaching & training
Free catered lunches, snacks & team bonding
Free Healthcare & Life Assurance
Contributory pension scheme
Bi-weekly massages with Urban Massage
Cycle to Work Scheme