Robotics / Mechatronics Engineer
Los Angeles /
Corporate – Software Engineering /
Hadrian - Manufacturing the Future
Hadrian builds autonomous, software-defined precision component factories that help our customers make rockets, satellites, jets & eVTOLs 2x faster and cheaper.
Getting precision components on time, quickly is the #1 problem for customers in the space, medical devices, fusion, semiconductor, defense & carbon removal industries - in total, a $60B market in the US alone.
Join our growing team to build the factory of the future and lay the groundwork for a Spacefaring, post-scarcity, carbon neutral world. Our tech already makes us >50% more efficient than legacy competitors and we need you to help us build, automate and launch Factory v1.
We've raised >$100m to achieve this vision, with multiple rounds from Lux Capital, A16Z, Founders Fund, Construct Capital, Caffeinated Capital and more.
About this role
As a founding member of the Software/Robotics team, the Senior Robotics/Mechatronics Engineer will lead the charge to ensure autonomous hardware and software are working together for seamless functionality.
You’ll integrate third-party APIs and software libraries into new and existing system and build rock-solid software services. Sometimes, you’ll lead the way in troubleshooting and reverse engineering vendor systems, solve to never seen before challenges, and take ownership finding solutions to problems we haven’t even imagined yet.
In this role you will
- Design, build and deploy automated factories using advanced robotics
- Use machine vision in conjunction with robots to align jobs and tools
- Integrate third party APIs and software libraries into new and existing systems
- Understand and integrate complex electromechanical systems
- Build seamless, reliable software services
- Troubleshoot and reverse engineer vendors systems, finding solutions for missing or incomplete features and getting the most out of them, sometimes working directly with their engineering teams
- Work closely with industry leading data scientists and data engineers to identify and deliver useful datasets
This might be a good fit if you
- Are a highly effective communicator when speaking or writing, especially when presenting technical information
- Highly proficient in at least two of C, C++, C#, Python
- Know how to work with and integrate third-party APIs and software libraries
- Understand complex electromechanical systems and are eager to work in the intersection of software, electronics, and mechanical engineering
- Can build rock solid software services
- Work with a hacker mentality – driven to find answers and solve problems even if it demands reverse engineering systems to get the most out of every feature
- Take responsibility and ownership finding solutions no matter what
- Are self-motivated and eager to get hands-on and tackle challenges independently while working collaboratively toward identified objectives
- Deploy your broad experience and big picture view to fix undreamed of problems with innovative solutions
- Feel passionate about making things move in the real world with software
Nice to have (or excited to learn! you don't have to possess these to be a great fit.)
- 3+ years of experience
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Mechatronics, Robotics, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering and/or related field or equivalent experience, with a Master’s degree a plus
- Databases, REST, RabbitMQ, Kafka, CAD, CAM experience
- Experience leading technical teams and effectively supporting multiple programs, projects, and/or clients
- Understanding of and experience with servo motor/actuator design and motion control systems including motors, gears, bearings, sensors, actuators, and servo drives
- Experience with self-driving robot systems
- Knowledge of and familiarity working with robot arms including integrating them into systems/factories
- Experience creating and integrating computer vision systems
What we offer
- Autonomy in how you execute, work with the best Advanced Manufacturing team in the US.
- Work on something that actually positively impacts the Space Industry, The Country, and Humanity's future
- Big equity grants
- Platinum Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance
- Stipends for relocation, home office and/or flights to LA
- Interact with our customers who are building Rockets, Satellites, Jets & Drones
- Exposure to Tier 1 VCs and Angel Investors
- If you quit Hadrian to start your own company, we'll invest and help you fundraise
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.