Software Engineer - Applied Operations Research / Scheduling
LA, SF or Remote /
Software Engineering /
Onsite in LA, SF and/or remote
Hadrian - Manufacturing the Future
Hadrian builds autonomous, software-defined precision component factories that help our customers make Rockets, Satellites, Jets & eVTOLs 2x faster and cheaper.
Getting precision components on time, quickly is the #1 problem for customers in the Space, Medical Devices, Fusion, Semiconductor, Defense & Carbon Removal industries - a $60B market in the US alone.
We are hiring our founding team of 20 - join our growing team of 8 with deep Space, Manufacturing & Software experience to build the factory of the future and lay the groundwork for a Spacefaring, post-scarcity, carbon neutral world.
Our tech already makes us >50% more efficient than legacy competitors and we need you to help us build, automate and launch Factory v1.
We just raised one of the biggest seed rounds of all time, and we're lucky to be backed by Founders Fund, Lux Capital, Construct Capital & our customers (who make rockets and satellites).
About the FactoryOS team & this role
Hadrian's FactoryOS ("Flow") is the backbone of our operations, automating everything from customer paperwork, to supply chain operations, to resource scheduling, error handling, hardware data integrations, quality inspection processes & more.
A core piece of Flow is our Scheduling system, which ensures all resources (machine and human) are load balanced with optimal factory scheduling, provides accurate lead times to customers, and enables on-the-fly rescheduling in response to real world condition changes.
Scheduling is key to preventing lead time misses, ensuring maximum utilization of resources & ensuring our Factory runs smoothly.
In this role you will
- Maintain v1 of our scheduler
- Architect v2 of our scheduler using applied OR methods, or similar
- Work with the front end team to design interactions between Factory Users and scheduling algorithms
- Work with the manufacturing team to optimize the algorithm for the real world and factory workflows
- Work with the FactoryOS team to ensure data captured from the factory is suitable for scheduling needs
- Build algorithms and processes that optimize lead times, profitability, utilization and throughput
- Build & release clean APIs for the scheduling algorithm to interact with our other systems
- Take a leadership role in defining the roadmap of the scheduler and FactoryOS itself
- Lead or contribute to designing and implementing core technical architecture of our next generation factories from planning to execution
This might be a good fit if you
- Have A++ mental horsepower and plasticity
- Get a kick out of Manufacturing, Space, Defense and our mission
- Enjoy applying optimization techniques to improve business metrics in the real world
- Grasp product impacts to users and factory operations naturally
- Can make tradeoffs between technical optimizations vs "real world" applications
- Strong general computer science and algorithms background
- 2-5 years backend experience, ideally building complex B2B or B2C software
- Enough architecture experience to help make decisions that can last us 18-24 months
- Can project manage yourself and others to completion of a complex product if needed
Nice to have (or excited to learn! you don't have to possess these to be a great fit.)
- Scheduling algorithms or operations research experience (or strong desire to learn the domain)
- Hardware integration experience (or an interest in hardware/software)
- Aerospace / Healthcare / FinTech / experience (we handle sensitive data)
- Internal tooling or B2B workflow experience
What we offer
- Autonomy in how you execute, work with the best Advanced Manufacturing team in the US.
- Work on something that actually positively impacts the Space Industry, The Country, and Humanity's future
- Coaching from some of the best Scheduling / OR people in the world, if you so desire
- Big equity grants
- Platinum Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance
- Stipends for relocation, home office and/or flights to LA
- Interact with our customers who are building Rockets, Satellites, Jets & Drones
- Exposure to Tier 1 VCs and Angel Investors
- If you quit Hadrian to start your own company, we'll invest and help you fundraise
- Fame & Glory
We're building Factory #1 in LA, and for software engineering, this means we run a hybrid-remote structure.
You can choose between;
1. Relocate to LA (we'll help you cover expenses)
2. Work remote or in our SF office, but fly into LA for ~2/8 weeks average.
We're looking for the best, and the best usually come with some career twists and turns.
Please apply even if you don't think you're a textbook perfect fit - we care more about skills, attitude and output than the school you went to (as an example).