Head of Engineering (DFM)
Los Angeles /
Hadrian - Manufacturing the Future
Hadrian builds autonomous, software-defined precision component factories that help our customers make Rockets, Satellites, Jets & eVTOLs 2x faster and cheaper.
Getting precision components on time, quickly is the #1 problem for customers in the Space, Medical Devices, Fusion, Semiconductor, Defense & Carbon Removal industries - a $60B market in the US alone.
We are hiring our founding team; join our growing team of 8 hailing from SpaceX & Google to build the factory of the future and lay the groundwork for a Spacefaring, post-scarcity, carbon neutral world.
Our tech already makes us >50% more efficient than legacy competitors and we need you to help us build, automate and launch Factory v1.
We just raised one of the biggest seed rounds of all time, and we're lucky to be backed by Founders Fund, Lux Capital, Construct Capital & our customers (who make rockets and satellites).
About the leadership team and this role
Hadrian's leadership team is a mix of experts in Space, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Factories & Software.
This role will report to the CEO, sitting alongside our Heads of Automation, Head of Programming, Head of Software Engineering, Head of Customers & Head of Supply Chain.
You'll help design and build Hadrian's Machining automation system, particularly processes and workflow associated with everything before CAM - print analysis, model manipulation, tolerance analysis, DFM feedback with customers.
Work alongside software engineers and the US's best CAM Programmers to design an end to end automation system that reduces the cost of NRE by 80%. Subsequently, train and manage a team of engineers that report to you.
In this role you will
- Design our engineering and DFM processes
- Work with software engineers to document those processes into a roadmap
- Prioritize that roadmap by engineering effort vs time saving
- Build a system that reduces DFM/Engineering effort by 80%
- Build a system that ensures "no fail programming"
- Work with customers to provide DFM feedback and manufacturability advice
- Hire, train and lead a team to do the same
- Close the loop between manufacturing and customers to ensure we work together on optimal machining strategies
- Work with Head of Customer and CEO in sales situations
This might be a good fit if you
- Have A++ mental horsepower and plasticity
- Get a kick out of Manufacturing, Space, Defense and our mission
- Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering Degree
- Have worked at a Space company before
- Love DFM and have a passion for bridging the gap between Engineering and Manufacturing
- Love interacting with other engineers and OK with customer facing interactions
- Deeply understand tolerances and design vs manufacturability tradeoffs
Nice to have (or excited to learn! you don't have to possess these to be a great fit.)
- Have worked with software engineers before
- Have done DFM reviews with customers in a contract manufacturing environment
- Have worked in Aerospace, Semiconductor or Defense environments
- Literally worked for one of our customers and want to jump ship to the supplier side
- Passionate about optimizing processes
What we offer
- Autonomy in how you execute, work with the best Advanced Manufacturing team in the US.
- Early leadership role in breakout startup
- Work on something that actually positively impacts the Space Industry, The Country, and Humanity's future
- Big equity grants
- Platinum Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance
- Stipends for relocation, home office and/or flights to LA
- Interact with our customers who are building Rockets, Satellites, Jets & Drones
- Exposure to Tier 1 VCs and Angel Investors
- If you quit Hadrian to start your own company, we'll invest and help you fundraise
- Fame & Glory
We're building Factory #1 in LA - if you're relocating, we'll help cover relocation expenses.
We would also consider a fly in / fly out option for the right candidate.