Junior Accountant AP/AR
Lisbon, Portugal /
Business Operations & Administration – Finance & Accounting /
Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
As Junior Accountant, AP/AR you will be an integral part of the Finance & Accounting Team, and will report directly to Hala’s Accountant. Your main focus will be on A/P, Payroll, and A/R duties, but the team also expects that you would assist with basic pure accounting tasks. You will work closely with the People Ops and Compliance Teams, although the nature of this role will provide you with the opportunity to connect with everyone at Hala. As Hala continues to grow, you will also have the opportunity to expand the role and the responsibilities.
This position is located in Lisbon, with a salary range of 30,000€ - 45,000€ Applications will be accepted until June 20, 2021.
What you'll do:
- Manage Hala’s accounts payables process - create and track payment requests, track due dates, prepare aging reports, reconcile statements, and ensure timely payments.
- Liaise with Compliance and Program Operations teams to make sure that Hala possesses necessary information and approvals needed to execute payments in compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Oversee petty cash processes, collecting appropriate documentation in accordance with Hala’s internal policies and procedures and supporting specific departmental needs.
- Review submitted expense reports, ensuring compliance with Hala’s expense reimbursement and procurement policies; clarify with submitters any questions that may arise.
- Liaise with the People Ops team and external payroll accountants to execute payroll payments for Hala’s US and Portugese entities.
- Comply with regulatory reporting requirements to Social Security and other Labor Authorities. Prepare and request payroll and tax payments in an accurate and timely manner.
- Research and propose potential tax benefits promoted by the Portuguese and EU Governments.
- Manage Hala’s accounts receivable process: issue invoices, manage due dates and receipts, prepare aging reports, and ensure timely collection of receivables.
- Assist in facilitation of accounting cycle to include preparation of appropriate supporting documentation for journal entries, payroll, payment requests, and bank reconciliations.
- Support preparation and recording of accounting transactions and journal entries in QuickBooks and/or other financial management systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare and organize journal vouchers for accounting transactions ensuring strict adherence to Hala policies and procedures and sponsor rules and regulations.
- Organize and maintain financial physical and digital files (receipts, disbursements, invoices, financial reports, etc.) in accordance with Hala policies and filing standards.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested, including but not limited to purchasing, financial and program audit requests, sponsor financial reporting requests, data analysis, and others.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned and provide support to Hala’s Finance and Accounting Team as needed.
Who you are:
- You pay attention to details and are organized, accurate, and productive.
- You are a curious learner who can adapt quickly and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- You are a problem-solver who will continually look for ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- You are motivated and driven; you volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked.
- You anticipate the needs of stakeholders and ask the right questions at the right time.
- You can assess and prioritize where best to spend time and energy.
What you have:
- A university degree in Business Administration or related field, and 1-2 years professional experience in accounts payable, payroll, and bookkeeping; or, 4 years professional experience in accounts payable, payroll, and bookkeeping.
- Experience with relevant software tools, including but not limited to accounts payable, payroll, and accounting packages such as Quickbooks.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with Google and MS Office programs, particularly Google Sheets and Excel.
- Understanding of domestic and international bank transactions.
- Good knowledge of PT Tax and Labor Law.
- Professional working fluency in written and spoken English and Portuguese.
- Prior experience or a desire to work cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage by June 28, 2021. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members and the supervisor for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders. Prior to the final interview, we will also request references that attest to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.
What Hala Offers You
∙ Life-saving, socially impactful work.
∙ Competitive salaries.
∙ Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
∙ Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
∙ Paid parental leave.
∙ Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
∙ Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
∙ Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
∙ A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
∙ Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.