Engineering – Software Engineering /
Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
As the Engineering Manager at Hala, you will manage projects for both our hardware and software teams, working closely with upper management and individual engineers to execute project plans while ensuring the efficacy of the engineering teams. As the first Engineering Manager on the team, you will have the opportunity to define and expand the role, playing an integral part in the continued development of engineering at Hala.
This job is open to remote candidates anywhere in the United States Eastern Time Zone, and to candidates in Europe willing to relocate to Lisbon. The salary range for this position is $110,000--$120,000 per year.
Who you are:
- A systems thinker and problem solver who can connect the dots between various technology stacks and overall project initiatives.
- An effective communicator and facilitator, with experience breaking down engineering work and building engineering project plans.
- Process-oriented but creative—you are familiar with the standard development methodologies but feel comfortable challenging them when needed.
- A technically minded individual with experience in a technical field, who loves managing teams.
- Someone who is excited to establish systems and patterns that streamline development while retaining the value of developer/product owner collaboration.
- Someone who knows the importance of design, planning, and testing in the success of engineering projects.
What you'll do:
- Manage the execution of project plans by assigning tasks to engineers while keeping an eye on project budgets and timelines.
- Develop, automate, and architect management processes to improve task management, resource planning, and broader project management.
- Ensure adherence to development best practices.
- Create, maintain and improve technical project documentation.
- Work with the Director of Engineering to ensure implementation of strategic technology initiatives.
- Apply technical expertise when defining sprints, assessing timelines, and assigning tasks.
- Optionally participate in code reviews, and dive in with engineers to debug complex systems when needed.
- Work remotely from anywhere on the US East Coast time zone, or from our offices in sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
What you have:
- Experience with both task and project management on an engineering team.
- The ability to clearly communicate engineering concepts to project stakeholders.
- Willingness to communicate and collaborate with many different teams.
- Experience as an engineer or in another highly technical role.
- An appreciation for the entire software and hardware development process, from problem definition and prototyping through alpha, beta, and production launches.
- An eye for optimization—you are constantly adjusting processes to increase efficiency and remove blockers.
- Experience with project management of multi-year projects, and the ability to balance the needs of the individual projects with the overall direction of the technology.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
What Hala Offers You
∙ Life-saving, socially impactful work.
∙ Competitive salaries.
∙ Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
∙ Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
∙ Paid parental leave.
∙ Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
∙ Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
∙ Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
∙ A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
∙ Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.