Head of People
Chicago, IL /
Full Time (Flexible with Remote Work)
Who we are
We're building a prayer and meditation app. One that is authentically Christian and Catholic, while at the same time a resource for anyone looking to grow deeper in a relationship with God. We believe that people are hungry for peace, and that there is no surer way to find it than by learning to sit in silence with Christ: “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Mt 11:28).
Our goal is to build something truly great. Something that combines the beauty of the Church’s spirituality with world-class product and content execution.
We launched the app in December of 2018 and have been blown away with the incredible growth & traction. Hallow has been downloaded over 10 million times with over 200,000 5-star reviews. We're blessed to be backed by some of the best mission-driven investors in the world and are excited to build out the team to help a lot more folks grow closer to God.
We are a startup. We move quickly and take big swings. We are a small and fast moving team and each person is responsible for making an impact. It is hard work, but also deeply meaningful. We’d be honored & humbled if you’d consider joining us.
Tldr: We're growing quickly and looking to bring on a seasoned and fast-moving People leader to help us build the best startup culture in the world.
What You'll Do
- Lead People Strategy & Build Culture: Own our People strategy from end to end. Align our People strategy and processes to our organizational goals. Recruit, onboard and retain talented and diverse professionals who are excited to help people grow closer to God.
- Guide Our Team: Act as a trusted advisor to our leadership team. Develop trusting relationships with cross-functional partners and team members. Provide expert advice to our managers and team members on all HR matters and answer ad-hoc team member questions. Support all levels of the organization to build morale and drive engagement, productivity, and retention. Partner with leaders in solving complex HR issues including in areas like employee relations, performance and employment.
- Run the HR Function: Analyze surveys, trends, metrics, and other feedback to prioritize and develop solutions, programs and policies regarding organizational and People-related topics. Review our HR tech stack and propose improvements and solutions to best support the organization. Run all day-to-day HR functions including recruiting, compensation & benefits, learning & development, and compliance.
What You'll Love
- Mission: This work is incredibly humbling. Everyday we hear amazing stories and we get the pleasure of working on something that’s impacting lives. One of my favorite user quotes: “I hate quoting an old, overused cliche, but I’ve been very lost. And I think for the first time in a while I may be found.”
- Ownership: You’ll play the central role in building the structures that make sure we can maintain a positive and transparent culture, while ensuring compliance with processes and policies that provide clear running lanes.
- Growth: You’ll be a part of the startup journey from the beginning. Over the next couple of years we’ll build out the company significantly and we’ll need your help to grow and develop several teams from the ground up.
- Flexibility: HQ will be in Chicago and we would love to have as many team members there as possible, but we are completely flexible on location within the United States.
- Comp: We will pay competitive market rates both in terms of equity, cash, & benefits.
What We're Looking For
- Passion: First & foremost, we’re looking for someone excited about our mission. It makes it a lot more fun!
- Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources and/or a related field of study. 8+ years of experience working as an HR Business Partner in a growing small to medium-sized multi-state company, with direct responsibility for supporting both US and international team members as well as both employees and contractors. Tech startup experience and/or experience building out an HR function from scratch is preferred.
- Ability to Build and Adapt Quickly: Desire and ability to quickly build strong and trusting relationships, influence, and collaborate effectively across all levels of the organization. Perseverance, follow-through, ability to move quickly, and ability to manage several priorities and projects at one time.
- Team Support: Ability to support a cross-functional team’s People priorities and handle matters in a way that conveys understanding, empathy, objectivity, and reliability.
$155,000 - $240,000 a year
The above range only includes cash compensation. Each full-time employee in the US also receives significant equity compensation, which has the potential to be the biggest economic benefit of joining Hallow, alongside a top-tier benefits package (e.g., unlimited PTO, insurance, remote-flexible work, fully paid parental leave, 401(k) match, and stipends for health & wellness, home-office, and learning).
The above range for cash compensation will be split between a base salary and target annual bonus. These ranges are just initial estimates. They may vary depending on market or location and may be adjusted depending on the person we end up hiring for this role, their experience, and market dynamics.
We are honored that you'd consider joining the team and look forward to connecting with you.
Alex at Hallow
CEO & Co-Founder