Product Designer (Flexible with Remote Work)
Chicago, IL /
Dev & Product /
Full Time (Flexible with Remote Work)
Who we are
We're building a Catholic meditation app. Think Calm or Headspace, but for prayer. We believe that people are searching for peace & spiritual growth, and that there is no surer way to find it than by learning to sit in silence with God: “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Mt 11:28). Our goal is to build something that combines the beauty of the Church’s spirituality with truly world-class tech & design.
We launched the app in the Apple and Google Play stores in December of 2018 and so far we’ve been humbled with incredible growth & traction. We've been downloaded over 1.5 million times and have over 40,000 5-star reviews. We're blessed to be backed by some of the best VC investors in the world and are excited to build out the team to help a lot more folks grow closer to God.
Tldr: We're scaling up our product team quickly and looking to bring on the first person to join the UI / UX design team and help our Head of Product Design build new features across our mobile apps and website.
What You'll Do
- App design: Working closely with the Head of Product Design and our CTO & Co-Founder, you'll be designing new features within the Hallow mobile app. Our goal is to build a world-class, intuitive, and beautiful app that our users love using.
- Web design: Our website is often the first impression users have of Hallow and it's important for us to constantly expand and test different designs to help introduce them to the product. A big part of this role will be designing new web pages and flows to improve the user experience.
- User feedback: To best meet the needs of our end users, we actually need to know them. This role will require running interviews, tests, & surveys to build out user personas and better understand their needs.
- Work cross-functionally: We operate as an agile team and are constantly trying to find the simplest way to implement new functionality without sacrificing purpose or quality. You'll be working alongside product and dev to find designs that meet both the high-quality standard, and the ease of implementation that we are looking for.
What You'll Love
- Mission: This work is incredibly humbling. Every day we hear amazing stories and we get the pleasure of working on something that’s impacting lives. One of our favorite user quotes: “I hate quoting an old, overused cliche, but I’ve been very lost. And I think for the first time in a while I may be found.”
- Ownership: You’ll report to Shang, our Head of Product Design, and will be responsible for designing many of the major features in our app and across our website.
- Growth: You’ll get to journey with a VC-backed Silicon Valley startup from the beginning. When the company is this small, every employee is a core team member who is expected to help build the company as a whole as we settle into a culture and continue to expand the team.
- Flexibility: HQ will be in Chicago with the full team and would love to have everyone there. That being said, we’re super flexible with location / hours; don’t care when or where you work, just that it gets done.
- Comp: We pay competitive market rates both in terms of equity, cash, & benefits.
What We're Looking For
- Passion: First and foremost, we’re looking for someone excited and passionate about our mission. It makes it a lot more fun to actually care about what you’re working on!
- Experience: A foundation of 2+ years working in UI/UX is a must, and experience working with mobile or web applications is a big plus, as is familiarity with Figma.
- Bonus, but not required: Ability to create new vector / digital illustrations is a big plus as well, persona & user research experience is another plus
- Grit & Detail-Oriented: A start-up is tough and we really care about what we’re doing. You'll be jumping into a brand new role in a fast-moving team - perseverance and attention to detail are important.
We are so incredibly humbled that you're considering joining the team.
CEO & Co-Founder