/jest/ - adjective
guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness
We started Hampton Creek because we believe that eating well should be easy. The right thing, for our bodies and for the planet, should be affordable. And it should be incredibly delicious. That's the only way that change will happen: by working with everyone from farmers, chefs, and food scientists to single moms, schools and politicians to fix our broken food system.
And that's exactly what we have done with all of our products including our dressings, mayo, cookies and cookie dough. You can find us nationwide everywhere from Safeway, Target, Whole Foods, Walmart, Kroger, to many more. Our products are also served at schools, universities, hospitals, and corporate offices across the country.
We're a technology company pioneering in food. With investment from 12 billionaires, our mission is to bring healthier, more affordable food to everyone, everywhere. To achieve this we have developed a technology platform that enables us to search for better, healthier, and more sustainable ways to make food. Our movement represents a unique opportunity to work with a hard-driving cross-functional team of scientists, research chefs, business analysts, and engineers.
To find products near you check out our "just find it" page on our website (http://www.hamptoncreek.com/just-find-it).
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for a hands-on Bioprocess Engineer to join our R&D team which is creating delicious, game-changing food. As a Bioprocess Engineer, you will be a key member of our Product Development Team, responsible for scale-up of new food ingredients and products. You will be responsible for defining the process design and flowsheet, developing the bioprocessing conditions which achieve performance, economic and quality criteria. As the process matures, you will be responsible for scaling-up the process, selecting a contract manufacturing partner, developing a technology transfer package and conducting pilot- and commercial-scale trials to support product commercialization.
A big component of making food accessible is creating scalable processes and products. This is a unique opportunity to work side-by-side with talented chemists, process engineers, molecular biologists and culinary chefs at a cutting-edge food technology company on one of our newest product platforms. This is a full-time role and most of the work will be done on-site at Hampton Creek, with expected travel to our off-site contract manufacturing locations.
The successful candidate will:
- Define a logical and efficient experimental plan based upon sound and well-formed hypotheses
- Understand and optimize relationships between processing methods and physicochemical properties of experimental materials
- Evaluate and select processing technologies to maximize the impact of processed materials on key performance parameters of targeted applications
- Develop and scale process from bench to pilot equipment
- Design and execute hands-on experiments, implementing lab and pilot-scale processes to meet application team requirements
- Develop and maintain mass and energy balances, contribute to cost models
- Design, select, procure, commission, start-up and operate bioprocessing equipment
- Design and implement automation, instrumentation, and control systems
- Define future experimental strategy based on experimental results and conclusions
- Work safely at all times
- Minimum of BS or MS in chemical engineering, bioengineering, or a related field working with a variety of materials
- 2+ years of experience preferred in biopharmaceutical, nutraceutical, or food process development
- Fundamental and applied knowledge of cell-based processes, including cell culture, fermentation, scale up, and technology transfer required
- Knowledge of FDA guidelines for process validation is strongly preferred
- Experience in cGLP, cGMP, Sanitary 3-A, HAACP, OSHA, and other relevant FDA guidelines and norms for food production beneficial
- Diversified knowledge of Design of Experiments, statistical data analysis, and method validation.
- Knowledge and experience in Six Sigma Process Improvement and Design for Six Sigma tools and methodologies, lean manufacturing, 5S, and related topics highly desirable
- Ability to develop robust, reliable, safe processes through integration of equipment and operations
- Knowledge of food's physicochemical properties and interactions a plus
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent written and verbal communication
- You’re self-motivated, flexible and have an innate ability to “roll with the punches” in a fast-moving, fast-growing, start-up environment
- You don't mind traveling for work