Engineering Manager (US)
Remote (USA) /
HappyCo is a company where people can grow their careers and work with like minded people, with no egos or politics. HappyCo is values driven and offers a flexible, supportive culture. Join HappyCo and Make Work Happy!
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to help us scale our organization without sacrificing culture, cohesion, and customer focus. We’re hoping that you can help us continue to foster a culture of mentorship, employee well-being, and outstanding hiring and onboarding practices.
HappyCo is a PropTech startup that's been around for more than a decade. We primarily build workflow-focused apps for the multifamily segment (think apartment complexes). We’re currently undergoing unprecedented growth and expect to sustain this for some time to come.
Our product experience teams each have empowered triads -- a product manager, lead designer, and lead engineer -- who work together as a cohesive unit to discover customer problems and build solutions that solve customers’ problems, meet our usability standards, are feasible to build, and viable for our business.
Each empowered product team is measured by business outcomes, not output or stakeholder-driven roadmaps, and is empowered to determine the best solution to meet business outcomes. In your role, you will need to apply a holistic product lens in your management of the engineers in achieving their team outcomes.
Each triad member is managed by their respective departments. Managing the engineers will require you to be able to accommodate multiple processes and collaborate with members across product, engineering, and design teams to ensure that customer needs and alignment are maintained.
Our engineering team was previously exclusively in Australia, but we’ve been growing our team across the Americas since early 2022. In this role, you will be mentoring and managing engineers who work remotely across the Americas. Reporting to the Senior Director, Engineering this role is 100% remote but will require some travel 2-3 times per year for in-person company meetings/ collaboration.
During your first two weeks, you will
- Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
- Complete our HappyCo orientation and onboarding program
- Onboard with the product leadership team and learn about our product strategy
- Familiarize yourself with our systems and tools
- Read our favorite industry primers
- Attend your first Company Wide Meeting
During your first 1-3 months, you will
- Establish at minimum a bi-weekly 1:1 cadence with direct reports
- Get acquainted with our product team triads
- Share insights to help improve our hiring and onboarding processes
- Present your first strategy document including measurable goals and success criteria
- Plan and schedule a team-building event that fosters a culture of collaboration and growth
During your first 6-12 months, you will
- Organize & Manage: Maintain suitably staffed teams with the right people in the right seats, and develop the skills of your teams
- Coach & Develop: Meet with your engineers on a regular cadence to ensure they are performing and continually progressing via competency ladders and assessments in the areas of engineering performance, tools & technologies, and career development plans
- Discover, Deliver & Support Enablement: Ensure your team is supported to rapidly discover, build, and deliver product to customers with all team members having a clear understanding of product outcomes/ OKRs, support SLAs and visible work plans
- Ensure Team Alignment to Company Culture/ Core Values: Ensure engineers within your team are highly engaged and demonstrate alignment with our core values through team building, feedback, and continuous improvement
- Recruit & Onboard: Contribute towards creating an external HappyCo Engineering brand that supports a healthy, relevant and diverse recruitment pipeline for your team as well as ensuring new HappyCo team members can build an understanding of your product and become independently productive
What we think you'll need to be successful
- 2+ years of experience either managing engineering teams or leading a delivery team (remote team management is a plus!)
- 5 or more years of experience in software engineering
- Experience managing both front-end and back-end engineers
- A hands-on approach to both technical and people management with equal experience in designing, building and deploying secure, scalable products and services and guiding engineers through technical challenges by empowering and motivating teams to put forth their best work
- Have demonstrated ability to build systems that maintain a balance between time to market, usability, and technical architecture
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails
- An affinity for cross-functional team collaboration with the ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
How we build at HappyCo
- Our customer-facing Product vision
- How our product teams are organized (external summary)
Technologies used by our teams
- Ruby on Rails (5 product experience teams)
- React/Next.js (1 product experience team)
- Flutter for mobile development
- Golang (backend for the React teams)
- K8s & GCP for infrastructure
- Experience developing and implementing technical interviews
- Experience in consulting or organizational restructures; and ideally:
- You understand the value of different product and engineering processes and how to employ them based on the stage of the product
- You have experience working cross-functionally and multiplying efforts between teams
- You are experienced in understanding the needs of a varied set of customers
- You can mentor engineers on how to better understand and align with customers
$150,000 - $180,000 a year
The salary range provided is a rough guideline of what is budgeted for this role. Actual compensation offered will depend on applicant skills, experience, and alignment with role qualifications and expectations.
++Work from anywhere!
++Opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing technology companies in the PropTech industry
++Generous paid parental leave
++Unlimited time off
++Monthly stipends to support Wellness and Home Office expenses
Find out more about our US Employee Benefits on our careers page.
Founded in 2011, HappyCo (happy.co) builds mobile and cloud solutions to enable real-time property data. Our flagship product suite 'Happy Property’ has 2.7M units on its platform and has captured more than 270 million photos. We’re everyday people with a shared purpose — improving people’s lives. Our team is made up of thinkers, talkers, planners, makers, builders and everything in between. Together, we’re turning our passions into happier communities! When customers use our software, their communities get stronger. Our tools empower everyone in multifamily property management to improve their operations and maximize returns, which means they’re building better experiences for their residents. When property people are happy, we’re happy. That’s why we’re HappyCo. Learn more about our Product Vision here!
Our HappyCo Culture
HappyCo strives to build better communities. So naturally, we are dedicated to making our own community an enjoyable place that lets us do our best work. We’re devoted to building an inclusive, supportive culture that empowers each HappyCo’er to succeed and grow. To learn more about our culture, check out our Glassdoor page and our careers page!
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that HappyCo upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status. HappyCo is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don’t reach out to us about our roles -- we’ve got it covered. We don’t accept unsolicited agency resumes and HappyCo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.