Back-End Software Engineer
Seattle, WA /
About the company
Hazel Analytics pairs the largest food safety inspection database with powerful analytics tools and solutions for Fortune 500s and leading organizations in the restaurant, government, and financial services industries. Our Food Safety Insights (FSI) platform and other analytics products transform local health department data into actionable intelligence.
Nearly half of the 100 largest food retail chains use Hazel Analytics technology; our customers include notable national and global brands such as Uber Eats, Instacart, Starbucks, Target, and Whole Foods. We're also the exclusive worldwide provider of health department data technology to Ecolab, a global leader in food safety products and services. Our recent awards include the 2019 Food Marketing Institute Food Safety Innovation Award and the 2019 Sani Professional Food Safety Program Innovation Award. Moreover, we're honored to have been recognized by Built in Seattle — two years in a row — as one of Seattle's best small businesses to work for.
About the role
As a back-end engineer, you'll contribute to the evolution of our existing FSI platform, ensuring that our web services and data storage layer run smoothly and correctly while delivering useful tools and analytics to our customers. You'll also help guide our back-end technology choices, prototype new systems, debug performance bottlenecks, analyze datasets, and much more. A deep understanding of web technologies, an appreciation for data-layer architecture and tuning, and an analytical mindset will empower you to be involved in the majority of the Hazel tech stack.
When it comes to the collaborative aspect of our work, you'll be joining a team that operates in an agile manner, keeping processes to a minimum and enabling engineers to stay focused on their work. We're especially interested in people who are eager to mentor junior engineers and demonstrate other leadership skills. Our team takes pride in close collaboration, honesty, empathy, friendliness, and our commitment to diversity.
Compensation is $110K - $160K (DOE), plus equity and a generous benefits package. Although we're currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we do anticipate a return to in-office work; therefore, we do not have fully-remote opportunities at this time. We are not able to provide H1B sponsorship; relocation assistance within the United States is negotiable.
- 4+ years of directly relevant career experience — a longer career history is preferred for applicants without an applicable university degree
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Familiarity with cloud-based deployments and operations (especially Google Cloud Platform)
- Meaningful recent experience with Python (especially Flask or Django)
- Meaningful recent experience with database administration (especially PostgreSQL)
- Experience working with additional data-layer technology (especially Elasticsearch and Redis) — preferred but not required
- Enthusiasm for unit tests and robust APIs
- Contribute to PostgreSQL database architecture and Python back-end endpoints in service of web front-end clients, APIs, and data feeds
- Collaborate on designing features and identifying areas of risk or uncertainty
- Perform upgrades and other maintenance in Python codebase and in major components of back-end architecture
- Troubleshoot issues pertaining to workflow and data correctness, database query performance, scheduled and asynchronous tasks, and more
- Perform related tasks as needed, such as compiling and analyzing data
- Participate in general engineering activities, such as code review
- Engage with non-engineering team members to understand how customer behavior and business strategy inform our technical direction
- Contribute to improvements in team-wide processes, communication, and organization
- Self-motivated and quick to learn
- Organized and able to multi-task
- Demonstrates a sense of ownership
- Has analytical skills needed to answer questions using data
- Has strong communications skills
- Writes clean, efficient, intelligible code
- Strives for continuous professional growth
- Adds to our friendly, supportive team culture