About the company
Hazel Analytics is a fast-growing food tech company on a mission to create innovative products that transform the way organizations use food safety data. Founded in 2014 by prominent professors whose careers include decades of research at Stanford, UCLA, and the University of Maryland, we are the proven market leader in health department data analytics, serving nearly half of the largest 100 food retail chains.
Our Food Safety Insights (FSI) platform transforms diffuse and disparate local health department data into actionable intelligence. As a result, our customers — including Amazon, Cheesecake Factory, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Subway, Target, and Whole Foods — can rely on Hazel Analytics technology to proactively monitor food safety and regulatory compliance at over 100,000 locations that serve millions of meals every day in the US and Canada.
Hazel Analytics is a proud recipient of the 2019 Food Marketing Institute Food Safety Innovation Award and the 2016 Jack in the Box Food Safety Innovation Award.
About the role
As a data scientist, you will help identify new opportunities and develop high-impact data analytics, predictive models, and statistical tools that will generate practical and actionable inputs for our user community. You will be expected to be both a creative and critical thinker, have strong judgment in prioritization and execution, and strike a balance between moving quickly and delivering high-trust analytics. You not only think and act like a leader but also roll up your sleeves to explore and implement new analytical models.
- Develop new algorithms and models.
- Conduct analyses on customer data.
- Partner with engineering and product management team members to implement your models.
- Assess and refine existing algorithms and models.
- Analyze internal product metrics to inform product development direction and report on outcomes.
- Test, compare and evaluate new and existing products.
Who You Are
- Has meaningful experience with machine learning and/or causal effects analysis.
- Has 2+ years of career experience in a role that required model building of some form.
- Has meaningful experience in building statistical models with state-of-the-art libraries in R, Python, and/or Julia.
- Effectively communicates technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders; solicits and incorporates feedback.
- Is passionate about data analytics, data visualization, and building amazing products; is a champion of a data-driven and customer-focused engineering culture.
- Has proven experience as both doer and leader, able to help push a small team towards achieving ambitious goals and to influence company strategy.
- Is able to switch fluidly between sweating the fine details and zooming out to understand business strategy and impact.
- Holds an undergraduate degree (and preferably an advanced degree as well) in a technical field such as: Data Science, Statistics, Applied Economics, Informatics, Applied Computing (especially w/ Data Science focus), or Software Engineering / Computer Science (especially w/ Data Science focus).
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $100K to $150K, DOE.
- Equity: 0.05% to 1%, DOE.
- Fully covered healthcare.
- Free lunch (there is such a thing).
- Awesome co-workers.
- Join an exciting company that has seen a constant upward trajectory.
- Positive societal impact: we do our part to help keep millions of people safe when eating out.
We are not able to provide H1B sponsorship; relocation assistance within the United States is negotiable.